31.Trap

Hi! Here is where we're finally reaching the beginning of the nasty idea I had in mind for this story. But here it always needs a warning. It is mention a bit of violance and blood, so if you are not up for harder topics, you should stop reading here. For others I hope I didn't make it exceptionally hard;-)

From behind the car's windshield, she watched as the residential area of Newtown slowly faded into rows of old, often deserted warehouses. It was the last place she could think of to search. They were so close to finding the answer to all those mysterious fires and unexploded ordnance accidents in and around Newtown itself. But without the team, she couldn't do anything. A few days ago, everyone suddenly disappeared and no one could contact them. They were supposed to show up at the meeting, and only Penny showed up. This worried everyone, but especially her, because something here smelled more serious than they suspected. The Newtown police promised to investigate, but Chief Fire Officer Boyce decided to play it safe and, just in case, asked Officer Williams for help, who promised to let him know if he noticed anything suspicious.
However, more than a week had passed since the last person disappeared, so, having no other choice, she continued the search on her own. They weren't as great a team as her Pontypandy team, who were like family to her and who she would jump into fire for, but she was working with them all the time and couldn't just leave them out in the cold, assuming they were really in danger.

She reached the last warehouse. There were no lights on in the large parking lot, but there was a light in one of the windows of the abandoned building. Accustomed to working alone, Penny grabbed her flashlight, muted her phone, and got out of the car as quietly as possible. Even though she knew it could be a trap, she decided to take the risk. She was tired of sitting and reading the same files from front to back and back, while the command still believed that the dozen or so fires recently were just a coincidence, even though they had almost the same course and cause.

She looked around. She was surrounded by only silence and peace. She checked one last time to see if Malcolm had received her messages, then put her phone in her pocket and locked the car. She had checked this area so many times over the past weeks that she knew the way to the side entrance to the last warehouse by heart. Knowing the way, there was nothing left for her to do but walk. She sighed. Before leaving, she made sure Andy was in good hands, although Station Officer Steele was leaving in a few hours, so she had to hurry. For the next week, she couldn't afford such a risky action. Andy needed her, and she already felt guilty for withdrawing and not spending enough time with him due to recent events.

As she approached the side door, she began to doubt whether what she was doing made sense. What if not a single person from her team is here? Then all the efforts would be wasted and the search would have to start all over again, and every second was precious because no one knew what the potential kidnappers might be capable of.

"Are you sure it's here?" Malcolm asked, walking up to her.

"We just didn't check here," Penny shrugged.

"I'll go first," Malcolm offered, then carefully opened the door a crack.

Taking silent steps, Penny followed him, entering the dark warehouse where the only light came from small windows. She walked down the hall, listening carefully. They walked silently through what seemed like an endless corridor when suddenly they saw a dim light at the end of it. Malcolm didn't even turn around, he felt Penny following him as they reached the door that was slightly open.

"Doesn't that seem suspicious to you?" Malcolm whispered.

"I don't know," Penny sighed. "But since we've come this far, I guess we need to check it out," she added, carefully placing her hand on the doorknob.