Spirits and Logics

"Meet me at Sunrise Cafe,"

Seungcheol muttered, the words slipping off his tongue like a reluctant promise. He tucked his phone into his jacket pocket, a flicker of irritation flashing across his features. Why, of all people, had his boss, Chae Seungmin, chosen to pair him with Yoon Jeonghan? The man was a self-professed spiritualist, known for his conversations with otherworldly beings. As a detective rooted in logic, Seungcheol couldn't wrap his head around Jeonghan's beliefs. To him, every action had a human cause; there was no room for spirits or other supernatural entities in his worldview.

Seungcheol parked his car near the café, the engine's hum fading into the background as he stepped out and adjusted his jacket. With a practiced smirk and a wink aimed at the receptionist, he strode into the café, his fingers running through his hair in a habitual gesture of frustration. His gaze zeroed in on the figure seated by the window, Jeonghan, waiting as if time were a commodity he had in endless supply.

"You're 2 minutes and 59 seconds late," Seungcheol chided, his tone laced with thinly veiled annoyance as he settled into the seat across from Jeonghan. His posture exuded a casual confidence, his legs spreading comfortably beneath the table. "Couldn't resist chatting with your 'best friends' again?" he quipped, a mocking smirk playing at the corners of his lips, eliciting a sharp glare from Jeonghan.

"Don't speak ill of them; they have feelings too," Jeonghan retorted, his voice carrying a hint of reproach as he straightened in his seat. "Did you bring the documents?" he asked, his attention shifting to the file Seungcheol had placed on the table.

"Of course," Seungcheol replied, nodding as he handed over the file. Jeonghan's fingers traced over the pages with a practiced ease, his eyes scanning the contents with focused intensity. Meanwhile, Seungcheol found himself unable to tear his gaze away from Jeonghan's form.

Dressed in a snug navy blue sweater and black washed jeans, Jeonghan exuded an air of effortless elegance. His hair, a rich shade of black, framed his face in soft waves, the strands falling just so over his neck. Pink lips, perhaps tinged by strawberry lip balm, formed a subtle contrast against his porcelain skin, while his long lashes brushed against his cheeks with each blink, adding a touch of ethereal beauty to his features.

"Are you listening?" Jeonghan's voice snapped Seungcheol out of his reverie, the suddenness of the interruption causing him to flinch ever so slightly.

"Huh?" Seungcheol blinked, his cheeks flushing with embarrassment as he shifted in his seat, feeling the weight of Jeonghan's gaze upon him.

Rolling his eyes, Jeonghan sighed softly, tucking a stray strand of hair behind his ear with a gentle motion. "We need to travel to Gangnam to investigate what actually happened at the apartment," he explained, gesturing towards the address listed in the file.

Frowning, Seungcheol shook his head. "But why? Seungmin instructed us to handle this case discreetly, not to barge into the victim's apartment," he protested.

"I know, but if Kang's death was ruled a suicide, there must be something at the apartment that can help us," Jeonghan insisted, his gaze unwavering.

"Help us? How?" Seungcheol's voice was tinged with skepticism, his brow furrowing in confusion.

"There's someone with influence trying to cover up Kang's death, and we need to uncover the truth," Jeonghan declared, determination shining in his eyes as he met Seungcheol's gaze head-on.

"And how exactly will you uncover the truth? By speaking to Kang, who is dead?" Seungcheol couldn't believe the utter bullshit Jeonghan was spouting. He just hoped they wouldn't get caught, lest his job be jeopardized.