Chapter XV - Lovebirds

His words hung in the air, as if they were the moment I'd been waiting for all my life. The idea of being his, of having this between us, felt surreal. My body trembled under the weight of it. His. The word echoed in my mind, reverberating through me like a secret melody only we knew. A sensation fluttered deep in my stomach—those butterflies people talk about. I had never quite believed in them before, but here they were, storming through me. It was overwhelming, but far from unpleasant. It was intoxicating.

"I thought you'd never ask!" I exclaimed, barely containing the joy bubbling up inside me. He stopped walking, turned to me, and his lips met mine in a soft kiss. His hand snaked around my waist, pulling me closer. The warmth of his body pressed against mine, and for a brief, dizzying moment, the world outside us disappeared.

We continued walking, but I could feel his gaze linger on me, like a protective force wrapping itself around my heart. His smile was wide, as if he had just discovered something priceless, something that had been hidden all along. I couldn't help but smile back. His smile, so beautiful, was enough to light up the night.

The little girl inside me was screaming, dancing in circles, filled with pure, unfiltered joy. Everything in me seemed to hum with happiness, like I had stepped into some kind of paradise. But even with this new warmth in my chest, thoughts of Heather lurked in the back of my mind, like shadows I couldn't quite shake. Why hadn't she tried to tear me down? What was her game?

My phone rang, breaking the fragile peace between us. The sharp sound jarred me from my thoughts. I pulled it out of my purse, frowning at the way it vibrated frantically in my hand. Marcus glanced at me, confused. I wasn't the type to have my phone blowing up like this. What the hell?

My stomach twisted when I saw the notification—Heather's story. She had posted a video of Marcus and me, tagging only me. Not him. The caption? "Lovebirds." How predictable. A sickly knot of unease formed in my chest. This was her move. Her revenge.

"No way," I whispered, my heart sinking as I glanced at Marcus, who was now looking at me, concern etched into his expression.

Before I could process it fully, Hallie and Liam rejoined us. Hallie wrapped her arms around me in a comforting hug. I wasn't devastated—there was nothing scandalous in the video. I had barely spoken. But Marcus? He'd done all the talking, and now it was out there for everyone to see.

"I'll make that bitch pay for this," Marcus growled, his fists clenching at his sides.

I saw the fury building in him, like a storm ready to break. He looked like he was about to march right back into the party and confront her. The same thought crossed my mind, but I hesitated. This was her territory, her house. She was the queen of this party, and any scene we caused would be her victory.

"Look on the bright side. My follower count's going up. She's basically made me a star," I said, attempting to diffuse his anger with a grin, though it barely touched my lips.

"Let's go back," Liam cut in, unexpectedly firm. "Nobody messes with my sister, not even Heather."

Even though Liam and I didn't always get along, he was always protective when it came down to it. Sometimes overly so. But still, the sentiment was appreciated. Even if I did find him infuriating most of the time. Okay, maybe I loved him just a little, but I'd never admit that to his face.

None of us tried to stop him, and before I knew it, we were heading back into the lion's den. The night had taken a strange turn, but honestly, I wasn't surprised. It was Heather, after all. The queen bee. The girl every guy wanted and every girl wanted to be—or beat.

Liam stormed into the yard first, his face set in a scowl, his brows furrowed in that unmistakable alpha male look he wore when he was really pissed off. Marcus followed close behind, his expression just as intense. I hurried to catch up, wondering if this was the right move.