Chapter XXIII - University programs

The sun was already searing through the blinds, urging me out of bed. I blinked, groaning slightly as the memories of last night crept back into my mind like a bad dream I couldn't shake off. The drama, the tension—everything lingered like a bitter aftertaste. I was certain Hallie was mulling it over too, even if she wouldn't admit it.

I rubbed my eyes and glanced over to find her stirring, a sleepy smile spreading across her face. "Morning, sunshine," she teased, her voice still thick with sleep.

"Morning," I muttered, pulling myself out of bed. "I'm getting ready for my acting class. You know, the one I actually look forward to."

"Oh yeah, your favorite," she smiled, stretching her arms above her head lazily. "When do they let us peasants join?"

I chuckled, reaching for my wardrobe. "Not sure yet. Soon, I hope. You'll get to watch me strut my stuff on stage."

She grinned, but I could see the shadows under her eyes—she hadn't slept well either. I didn't press it. We all had our ghosts, and some mornings, it was best to let them lie. Grabbing my clothes, I waved her off, eager to lose myself in something that didn't involve feelings or fights.

Once I stepped out into the hall, I found Lucy waiting for me, her tall figure leaning casually against the wall. She didn't need a text to know where I'd be—she just knew. She always did.

"Ready to star in another show, darling?" she asked, her fingers playfully ruffling my hair. With her height, she often felt like a giant next to me, a protective force.

"Maybe you'll get cast as my mom today," I shot back with a grin.

Lucy laughed, her dark eyes twinkling. "I think I've got the attitude for it."

We were both in the film program, studying everything from stagecraft to scriptwriting. It was my parents who had pushed me toward acting, ever since I was little, constantly narrating the world around me like life was one big script. It only made sense I'd end up here.

My brother, on the other hand, was wrapping up his degree in Finance. Always chasing the money, that one. Sure, he had a knack for numbers, but passion? I wasn't convinced. Then there was Marcus, with his camera always slung around his neck, shooting everything from cityscapes to candid portraits. He had a way of seeing people—their hidden layers—that left me breathless sometimes.

Hallie, of course, was majoring in Communications. It suited her. She could talk circles around anyone, get people to spill their secrets without them realizing. Not that she'd ever need to pry anything out of me. I trusted her, despite everything.

We reached campus, and there, leaning against a tree like a scene straight out of a bad romance novel, was Marcus. He caught my eye and smirked, cigarette dangling from his lips.

"Hey, stranger," I called, walking over to him as Lucy waved me off with a reminder not to be late. She knew better than anyone that Marcus could easily distract me.

"Karla." His voice wrapped around my name like a whispered secret. "You good? How's Hallie?"

"Seems like she's okay, for now. We haven't really talked about it, but she probably wants to speak to Liam." I shrugged, trying not to let my annoyance at my brother seep into my voice.

Marcus exhaled slowly, flicking his cigarette to the ground. "Liam was weird this morning. Didn't say a word to me after you guys left last night."

That wasn't like my brother. He could be aloof, sure, but he wasn't one to brood in silence. I frowned. "Maybe he's just tired. Or maybe he's finally starting to realize what a mess he's made."