Chapter XXIV - Heartfelt advices

After the intense brainstorming session, we were finally ready to perform our masterpiece. The adrenaline kicked in as we took to the stage. I had poured my heart into designing the scene, but it was seeing Christian and Lucy bring it to life that truly made me proud. They embodied the characters perfectly, and Christian's acting was spot on—it was as though he had read my mind.

Title: Contradictions

Characters:
Christian (as John): The father, in his early 50s, firm yet caring.
Lucy (as Mary): The mother, late 40s, nurturing but strict.
Karla (as Emily): The rebellious 17-year-old daughter, strong-willed and outspoken.

Setting:
A suburban living room. Center stage is a couch with a coffee table in front of it, and a doorway leads to the outside.

Scene:

(John and Mary stand facing each other in the living room. Emily is seated on the couch, arms crossed, visibly frustrated.)

John: (firmly) Emily, there are rules in this house for a reason.

Emily: (sarcastically) Oh, I get it. I just don't agree with them.

Mary: (calmly trying to reason) Honey, we're not trying to ruin your life. We just want what's best for you.

Emily: (standing up, her frustration boiling over) What's best for me? Or what's easiest for you? You don't trust me!

John: (raising his voice slightly) When you live under this roof, you follow our rules. Period.

Emily: (defiantly) Then maybe I won't live under this roof anymore!

(Mary steps toward Emily, reaching out in a motherly gesture.)

Mary: Emily, please. We're only trying to protect you. There are things you don't understand yet.

Emily: (mocking) Oh, right. Because hanging out with my friends is such a big deal. You act like it's the end of the world!

John: (angry now) It is when you sneak out and disobey us to do it!

Emily: (yelling) You two are such hypocrites!

(In an attempt to calm down, John turns to Mary. In an unplanned moment of connection, they hold each other and kiss, forgetting for a moment that Emily is there.)

Emily: (stunned, disgusted) Unbelievable! You forbid me from seeing my friends, but you two can do whatever you want!

(John and Mary break apart, realizing what they've just done.)

Mary: (guilty) Emily, it's not the same...

Emily: (cutting her off) Oh, it's exactly the same! You don't get to make the rules and then break them yourselves!

(Emily grabs her bag from the couch, heading toward the door.)

John: (panicked) Emily, where are you going?

Emily: (angrily) Anywhere but here! Maybe when you learn to follow your own rules, I'll come back.

(Emily storms out of the house, slamming the door behind her. John and Mary stand there, silent and stunned, the sound of the door echoing through the stage, symbolizing the impact of their actions.)

John: (softly, almost whispering) We need to talk to her, Mary. We can't let it end like this.

Mary: (nodding) I know, John. But we need to give her some space. She'll come back when she cools down.

John: (sighing) I hope so. We've got to show her that we love her, even when we disagree.

Mary: (softly) We'll figure it out. Together.