Chapter XIX - Lucy's side

The tension hung heavy in the air, thick with accusations and unspoken truths.

"Why don't you ask her? She's the one who started this shit!" My brother's voice cut through the chaos, almost wrenching Hallie's grasp loose.

I marveled at Hallie's strength, a petite figure holding back a storm. But the situation was spiraling, and if they broke free, who knew what would happen. How had things escalated so quickly? It felt like I'd only looked away for a moment. What the hell?

"He's lying. I didn't do anything. What the hell is your problem, Liam?" Lucy's voice was strained, her gaze locked with my brother's.

"Both of you, stop it! Look at yourselves, being held like two angry dogs. God," I interjected, moving between them, trying to diffuse the tension.

Sinking onto the sand, I crossed my legs, attempting to anchor myself and calm the rising storm within me. Taking a deep breath, I instructed Hallie and Marcus to release them. Liam's fists remained clenched, but I knew he wouldn't harm her. He might despise her, but he wasn't capable of violence against a woman. At least, not in my understanding of him.

As Liam leaned back, relaxing his body against Hallie's support, Lucy's wrists relaxed too. Marcus, however, still held her, unaware of the shift in dynamics. And truth be told, so was I.

"You can let go, Marcus. I'm fine," Lucy assured him, turning her gaze toward him. But her facade cracked, revealing the turmoil beneath the surface.

"You know I can't trust you, Lucy. Not after almost decking my best friend. And with a fist, no less," Marcus retorted, disbelief evident in his voice.

She did what? The revelation sent shockwaves through me. Why would she resort to violence? Was she seeking retribution for her brother's actions? It didn't align with the Lucy I knew. Questions swirled in my mind, but answers eluded me.

"He deserved that shit. I'm still pissed you swooped in like his personal bodyguard, stopping me before I could land one on him," Lucy confessed bitterly, her words cutting through the tension like a knife.

"Lucy, stop. What the hell? I get that you hate him, but that's my brother you're talking about," I interjected, torn between loyalty to my best friend and the bond I shared with my brother. If he's going to die from a fight, that should be me beating him.

"I don't need your pity, Karla, okay? I probably deserve a punch myself for what I've done to you, but not from this little..." Liam's words trailed off, his fists clenching once more, but Hallie intervened before he could escalate the situation further.

"Where do you think you're going? Relax, Liam. It's ancient history," Hallie urged, wrapping her arms around him, forcing him to calm down.

I couldn't shake the feeling of being surplus to requirements. Clarity eluded me as the truth remained muddled. Had secrets been revealed in my absence? Hallie's words hinted at a deeper understanding, but I felt like an outsider, a spectator to my own life.

"You know what, Karla? I don't even care that he's your brother. It doesn't seem like it. He's such an asshole and you're a literal angel. Why don't you fucking tell her what you did?" Lucy screamed at my brother, trying to get close to his head. "Tell her, so I won't be the black sheep in your story. Are you afraid? You fucking liar!" She yelled from the back of her lungs, as I was looking confused at them.

"Tell me what? If it's the story from the moment you and Hallie were visiting your siblings, he already told me. And it wasn't really nice from your side, Lucy." I said to her, looking deeply into her eyes that were now frowning at me.

"Are you sure you know the whole story? He told you just his part of it, but he wasn't exactly honest about it. Were you, Liam?" She turned her gaze to my brother now, as I saw him getting even angrier than before.