The Diner

Elena and Mr. Smith are walking to the office garage. To guide Elena in the right direction, Mr. Smith sometimes places his hand on her back and then gently pushes her in the right direction. Even though Elena has been working here for a few weeks now, it is still a maze for her. And she has never been to the garage. She always comes by metro. She is tense about going out with Mr. Smith, but every time his hand touches her back she feels a kind of warmth going through her body.

Once in the garage they stop at a large black chic car. Of course this is Mr. Smith's car. Sometimes he has a driver, but today it seems he drives himself. Mr. Smith takes the coat from Elena's shoulders again and places it neatly on the back seat. He holds the car door open and Elena smiles at him cautiously and gets into the car on the passenger seat. He could be a gentleman, Elena thinks.

It's getting dark in the city. In the car, soft music can be heard in the background and Elena enjoys the view of the city. It feels different to be driven around the city in a car than to travel through the city by bike or by public transport. She hasn't lived here very long. She lives alone in an apartment on the other side of the city far from the financial district. They are now driving into the city center. She hasn't been here often. It is nice and warm in the car and it smells fresh. The fresh scent is mixed with the scent of sandalwood. Probably Mr. Smith's perfume, because his office always smells so good too. Elena enjoys the comfortable ride that she even forgets that she has Mr. Smith in the car. When the car comes to a stop, she feels a gentle hand on her knee. She clears her mind. "We're here Elena." Mr. Smith walks outside and opens the door for her. He grabs her hand to make it easier for her to get out of the car. A warm wave passes through Elena's body when she steps out and looks at Mr. Smith. She walks behind him to the entrance of the restaurant. Mr Smith gives his keys from the car to an employee who drives the car for him into a parking garage. "Mr. Smith, two people?" asks another employee. 'follow me please'. The two of them run after the man. It is an incredibly chic restaurant. Elena looks around with wide eyes. They take a seat at the best table in the restaurant in front of the window with a nice view outside. "Do you drink wine Elena?" asks Mr. Smith. 'occasionally on occasions.' Mr. Smith laughs. "Then this is an good occasion, don't you think?" Mr. Smith asks, ordering a bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon. Certainly not the cheapest wine on the menu.

During dinner there is no sign of that angry Mr. Smith anymore. They have quite a good time and get to know each other a little better. They talk about their childhood, where they grew up. Mr. Smith is from the city and Elena has always lived in a village. During her studies she lived in a dorm room near the university and since she finished her studies she has worked and lived in the same city for about three years. She recently moved here. A city where she knows no one and is a five-hour drive from her friends and family.

Once dessert has been consumed, Mr. Smith accompanies Elena outside. The car is picked up again and Mr. Smith drives her to her apartment. It's quite a bit of a drive. Parking in her street is hardly impossible. So Elena suggests walking the last part. "I'm not going to let you walk through this neighborhood alone at night, Elena?!" says Mr Smith, somewhat irritated. "It's late, you've had a few glasses of wine and I need you back in one whole piece tomorrow!" Mr. Smith parks the car at the edge of a park and walks next to Elena towards her apartment. Along the way they encounter some drunks. They stare at her and shout sexist comments. But Mr. Smith is tall and quite muscular, so she feels safe at his side. Elena notices that Mr. Smith has to make an effort not to respond to these comments. Elena sees him tensing his muscles.

Once they arrived at her apartment, Elena thanks Mr. Smith for dinner. It is already 00:15 am. Mr. Smith places his hand on her shoulder. 'Starting tomorrow at 9 am instead of 8 am. And buy yourself a coffee in the morning too. Not just for me.' He turns around and walks away again. After a few steps he turns around again, 'Elena, at work I am Mr. Smith. Outside of work, I'm George.' He winks and walks into the darkness.