Being Watched

In the evenings after work, Elena is busy at home preparing for Saturday. She has no idea what awaits her, but every evening she tries to get all the information from the papers she received from Mr. Smith into her head.
Mr. Smith also spends a lot of time working after hours. She still sees him regularly in the evenings this week in his office.

Elena sits on the couch in front of the window in the evening with the stack of papers on her lap. She feels lonely and misses her family and friends. She's had better nights before.

It's already dark outside. She looks at Mr. Smith's office and sees that he is back in his office. Elena gets the feeling that she is being watched. Every now and then she sees Mr. Smith looking at her. She startels when their eyes meet and then quickly dives back into the pile of papers.

The bell is ringing. Elena opens the door and Thomas stands at the door with a pizza box. After the weekend's incident, he has already apologized a thousand times. Elena has said several times that an apology is not necessary and that she has decided to stay, but Thomas found it difficult to forgive himself. To help Elena get through the evening a little better, Thomas suggested watching a movie while enjoying a pizza.
When Thomas and Elena are sitting on the couch, she notices that Mr. Smith looks in every now and then. It's slowly starting to irritate Elena to feel watched so much and she decides to close the curtain.

Not much later she receives a message on her phone:

I need you at the office ASAP.
George

Elena looks at her phone in annoyance. Damn, why just now? Is it really that much to ask to spend an hour without work?

Elena messages back:

I already have other appointments. Not available now.
Elena

Thomas and Elena try to resume the movie. Two minutes later the phone rings.
- 'I need you now Elena! We have to be well prepared for Saturday and I have something to discuss with you.'
- 'Isn't that also possible on the telephone? I have a visitor. It wasn't an obligation to have to go straight to the office after working hours when asked, was it? Only if it would suit me and it doesn't. Bye Mr. Smith'.

Elena feels as if he is constantly watching her and now wants to ruin her evening as well. She is a bit shocked by her own reaction. That was perhaps a little too direct with Mr. Smith.

- 'Elena! I need you right now! You come to the office now! That boy can't be that important. Especially after what he caused this weekend. You are just at home and he will only come back another time!
You're going to regret it otherwise, Elena. You are coming over now!!!

Well for so long a pleasant evening. Unfortunately, Elena has to escort Thomas to the door. She apologizes, grabs her coat and rushes to the office.

Elena opens the door to his office. Without knocking this time. Her mood is anything but good at the moment and apparently neither is Mr Smith's. 'Are we no longer knocking?' Elena looks at him with some irritation. "Who else should come in?" Elena walks to his desk and stands in front of him. She suddenly realizes that perhaps she should have held back a little more and how much of an imposing figure Mr. Smith actually is compared to her. But she felt sad all evening and when she finally had some company, it was interrupted by Mr Smith.
Mr. Smith gets up from his desk and walks towards her. Elena takes a few steps back. Even though Elena tries to create space, Mr. Smith continues walking until he is close to her.
'I will not accept this tone you are using towards me Elena! Realize very well what position you are in. One more time and you'll be out of here Elena! You'll really be out of here! And you certainly owe me, don't you?! Don't you see what I've done for you, damnit!' Mr. Smith moves closer to her and Elena takes a few more steps back, causing her back to hit the wall. Mr. Smith stands with his chest against her and towers over her. Elena is shocked by his words and his attitude and looks away from him and at the ground.

It's quiet for a moment. Mr. Smith lifts her chin and sees a tear roll down her cheek. Mr. Smith calms down a bit. He wipes away the tear with his thumb over her cheek. He steps back and guides her to the couch and sits next to her. "Let's discuss the latest information about the investors together."