Gone

The week at work flies by. It's a busy work week for George and Elena.
George is just Mr. Smith to Elena at work. Exactly what they agreed on. They keep some distance from each other. This way, no one will realize that there is more than just a work-related relationship between the two. Mr. Smith also has an intensive and busy week, so Elena and Mr. Smith do not see each other much. That makes keeping your distance a little easier.

It's the weekend now and it's been a while since Elena has seen her parents. They have visited twice in the months that she has been living and working in the city. So Elena decides it's time to visit her parents again. It's a long journey. Especially because she has to travel by public transport. She leaves early on Saturday morning at 5 am and plans to return home on Sunday evening. Fortunately, she doesn't have to carry a lot of stuff with her for one night. Fortunately it is quiet in the metro this early in the morning. Every now and then a drunk enters the subway. Elena avoids eye contact and holds her trolley suitcase tightly to her. You never know... Fortunately, after an hour of traveling on the metro, she can transfer to the first train. A few more people have already started their day. Now she can finally relax without having to worry about being bothered by drunk people. The drive to her parents takes a long time. She still has to transfer twice. The last transfer is busy. Everyone is pushing to get into the train but also to get out. When Elena is just about to step out the door, a man bumped into her who is apparently in a hurry. Her phone that she was holding falls right between the train and the platform. 'Shit, shit, shit!' Elena shouts, but he is too busy rushing that he didn't notice that her phone ended up under the train. Well great. My weekend out of town starts well. Elena thinks.
When the train starts to drive away she sees that her phone is completely broken. She will be buy a new one when she gets back in town. Hopefully she won't need it for the rest of the trip.

Despite her broken phone, the last part of the trip goes well. Finally she arrives in the area where she grew up. What a peace and it is so quiet. No more skyscrapers. She can see for miles across the countryside. What a stark contrast to her life now.

It's quite nice to be with her parents again. They never had a very close bond. But it's good to be able to talk to each other again. 'You shine Elena, you seem more mature. You seem to have more confidence.' her mother says. Elena laughs. She does not say that Mr Smith contributed to this. Ending up in bed with your boss isn't something to brag about to your parents.

The two days with her parents passed quickly. It is already quite late on Sunday evening when she comes home and decides to go straight to bed. Tomorrow she has to show up early for work again.

7:50 am. Elena walks into Mr. Smith's office with his coffee as usual. She is shocked when she opens the door. There is Mr. Smith standing in front of his desk. His hands in his pockets. He leans against his desk and looks intently at Elena. As if he has been waiting for her. “Close the door, Elena.” He snaps at her. Elena carefully closes the door and braces herself for what is to come. It's been a while since she's seen him like this.
Mr. Smith stands up straight. 'Where the hell were you this weekend, Elena? And why can't I get in touch with you when I try to call or text you?!.
'I don't have a phone anymore Mr. Smith. It's broken.' 'Do you know how frustrated I get when I can't reach you Elena?! I always have to be able to reach you, dammit! I'm your boss!'. Mr. Smith shouts angrily.

"Sorry Mr. Smith." Elena lets out a sigh and turns to walk away from Mr. Smith. Elena is Slightly irritated by his intense reaction. She also thinks it's unfair, because she couldn't do anything about her phone breaking.
"Where do you think you're going, Elena?!" And she feels his hand firmly on her wrist, holding her back.
"I'm going back to do some work Mr. Smith."
"I didn't think so."
Elena looks up at Mr. Smith in annoyance. "You're going to pay for this Elena!" He pulls her tight against him. She falls against him with her head against his chest.
He lifts her chin with a firm grip. “I never want to see facial expressions like that from you again.” He whispers in her ear.