012

CHAPTER TWELVE

CHAPTER TWELVE.
narrative + insta

december 24th, 2022; edwardsville il

it's 8pm on christmas eve, and at the drew household we a have a long list of traditions. the last one is our ginger bread house decorating contest, and the winner gets major bragging rights. when we were younger we'd get to open a present early, but we grew out of that as we became teenagers.

might i say this competition has always been took very seriously, and we've always looked forward to it each year. it's comforting to have something so consistent. that even though i'm having problems with my parents we can still have fun doing this together.

kate and i have been partners since forever, and we've won four years in a row. today is obviously going to be the fifth. the other partners are my mom & dad, quinn & cameron, mrs & mr johnson, kate's mom and dad, kennedy and trevor (kate's siblings), anna grace & bella (a friend she brought).

"we're bout to be 5x champs"
kate brags

"think again martin"
quinn retorts

we have thirty minutes to create a winning gingerbread house starting now. if you were wondering, we use hot glue instead of icing, because like i said this is serious. we first sketch out an outline, so we have a plan. i look over at the other groups, and they are clearly struggling. i think we got this in bag.

"how is yall's already so good"
AG groans

"what can i say kate and i are the best duo"
i tease

"what did you expect we are literally superior"
kate adds

kate and i are so focused, we barely talk. but her presence is enough to make we want to be all over her. it's so hard for us not to touch each other, but i'm not sure if we are ready for our parents to know about us yet.

its been fifteen minutes, and to be honest i'm doing most of the work. kate is just serving as a beautiful view, while eating all of the candy.

"bab- kate you can't eat all the candy, or we won't have any left for our gingerbread house"
i chide

"my bad, it's just so yummy"
she whines, while eating another piece

"something has to keep me from distracted from my lips not being on yours"
she whispers only audible to me, and i visibly blush

an ear piercing alarm went off, indicating our time was up. kate and i finished just in time, and our gingerbread house was a master piece. especially compared to the ones surrounding us. we post the finish products on each of our social medias and then tally the votes for each team.