XX. The Hero

"It looks like... I don't possess the necessary power to help you, Hunter-nim." She mumbled to the man in front of her. 'No, could there be someone possessing an ability capable of helping this man out in the entire world? Because... he had already transcended the limitations of humanity.'

However, Jinwoo was thinking of something else. He cautiously approached the still-terrified woman and asked her. "Madam, you said that you can glimpse into the future, yes?"

"To a certain extent, yes." The woman looked at the man with a confused look on her face.

"In that case, can you tell me about my future?" Jinwoo quietly asked. The question left the room with a heavy atmosphere.

Before he was about to enter the battle properly, Jinwoo wanted to see the end through her eyes first. He thought that, regardless of what she saw, he'd be more relaxed going in. That he'd be more confident in pursuing his next route. He'd be prepared for anything once he knew what his future would be. The uncertainty rooted within his heart will be calmed.

Madam Selner hesitated somewhat before she nodded her head slowly. She reached out and grasped both of Jinwoo's hands and closed her eyes.

The time flew past as if it were merely a moment, and when she finally opened her eyes, uncontrollable tears began trickling down her cheeks. She stared, horrified, at the man in front of her.

"You... are you really going to carry all that burden by yourself?" Madam Selner found it hard to form any words to say to the young man. Not after what she saw, not after what she learned.

"..." Jinwoo stayed silent, not answering the woman.

"But... how can it be? How can just one person carry all those terrible burdens? Are you going to sacrifice yourself just to save everyone?" Madam Selner's eyes' glistened with unshed tears at the thought. She could never imagine just how brave this young man is. The warrior had the courage to go to war just for them, regardless of whether he knew them or not.

However, Jinwoo's expression brightened at her statement. His eyes were sparkling with delight. "Sounds like I can at least get that far... That's a relief."

"What do you mean? You're relieved! No one will be able to remember you. You'll end up fighting a lonely battle all by yourself! For years!" Madam Selner frantically dissuaded the man from understanding her side and the future that she saw.

Nevertheless, Jinwoo let go of her hands and smiled. He was already prepared to go that far. He knew what he had to do. What lengths must he go to just to protect them?

"Sung Jinwoo Hunter-nim!"

.

.

The faces of many people who became sacrifices in this war against those creatures fleeted in and out of Jinwoo's mind.

Min Byunggu, Go Gun Hui, Adam White, his own dad, and many more.

He gritted his teeth.

Pure anger surged through his senses. The emotion was gradually welling up from the depths of his chest. Many were sacrificed just for this chaos.

He closed his eyes and began searching for the Dragon Emperor within that massive army. It was not hard, actually; his power's aura raged on like a violent storm and swallowed everything in its path. Too noticeable.

'...Found you.'

At that moment, the Sovereign of Destruction and the Shadow Sovereign's gazes met. Transcending distance does not even matter.