𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 4

Dumbledore began gently, "How do you know, Miss Black?"

Cassie scoffed incredulously, "You really think I'm going to tell you, Headmaster?"

Dumbledore's confusion was evident. "Why not, Miss Black?"

Cassiopeia smirked. "I thought it was obvious, Dumbles. I don't trust you. You know way more than you let on. You manipulate people to think you're the hero, saving them from the problems you yourself caused." She raised a brow pointedly.

Maintaining his composure, Dumbledore responded, "Let's keep those talks for later, shall we?" His smile, however, didn't reach his eyes for once.

"Now that you know, I request you to keep it a secret," he continued. "I assure you, he is more than qualified to teach the job."

"I wasn't going to tell... perhaps blackmail, but yeah," Cassie shrugged. "I do not doubt his qualifications. It's merely about the danger he poses."

Interrupting, Lupin added, "Professor Snape here will be providing me with Wolfsbane, which will keep me in control."

Cassie scoffed, "I wasn't talking about your, uh, 'furry problem.'"

Lupin smiled slightly at the familiarity of that term.

"I'm talking about the fact that you and my father were best friends in school. How do I know you aren't helping him enter the castle?" Cassie challenged.

Snape interjected, speaking for the first time, "That's something I agree on, Headmaster."

"I trust him, Severus, Miss Black," Dumbledore stated.

"You trusted a lot of people, Headmaster, and you know what came of it... for once, I hope your trust isn't absurd," Cassie remarked snarkily.

Dumbledore regarded her with a mix of curiosity and unease. "Very well, dear. Off to bed now."

Snape gestured for her to leave. "Password is Salazar," he reminded her.

With a nod, Cassie marched out of the hall. "I'll be keeping an eye on you, Professor Moony!" she shouted across the hall before striding towards the dungeons.

****************************

Dumbledore's POV

How does this girl know so much? For the first time in many years, Dumbledore felt a flicker of fear at the possibility of losing the power and trust he had.

What is wrong with this girl? Everyone trusts him. Why doesn't she?

How does she see right through me so easily?

"Alright, professors, I won't be keeping you for long. Goodnight," I said.

Snape nodded stiffly and marched off, his black coat dramatically flowing behind him.

"Goodnight, Headmaster," Lupin said, walking away as well.

Cassiopeia Black.

She could be my biggest asset or my greatest threat.

I have to play my cards right.

********************************

"What was all that about?" Blaise bombarded as soon as Cassie entered.

"Fucking hell- you guys didn't sleep yet?" Cassie remarked, watching Theo, Pansy, Draco, and Blaise sitting around the fireplace, staring pointedly at her.

"Nah...we wanted the tea," Pansy said, gesturing for her to sit in her usual black armchair.

"First McGonagall, then Dumbledore...what was all that about?"