𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 19

The excitement of the Quidditch Cup wore off quickly as the school settled into the final weeks of the term. The weather seemed to be celebrating; as June approached, the days became cloudless and sultry, and all anybody felt like doing was strolling onto the grounds and flopping down on the grass with several pints of iced pumpkin juice.

But they couldn't. Exams were nearly upon them, and instead of lazing around outside, the students were forced to remain inside the castle, trying to bully their brains into concentrating while enticing wafts of summer air drifted in through the windows.

The Slytherin common room was uncharacteristically quiet, the usual buzz of conversation replaced by the rustle of parchment and the soft murmur of spells being practiced. The silence was broken only by the occasional frustrated sigh or the sound of a quill scratching furiously against parchment as students tried to hammer in the material at the last minute. 

Draco spent alarmingly large amounts of time in the library. According to Pansy and Blaise, who had taken to spying on him during their breaks, he was often seen helping a pretty Ravenclaw second year with her studies.

Cassiopeia, too, had resigned herself to the grind, sitting by the fireplace with her nose buried in a book. The flickering flames cast a warm glow on her face as she flipped through the pages. She missed Theo, though she would never admit it. Since that day in the Room of Requirement, Theo had barely spoken to her,

Theo, on the other hand, rarely left his dormitory. He spent most of his time there, his curtains drawn tightly around his bed.

**********************

It was almost midnight, and the common room was completely empty except for the curly-haired witch beside the fireplace, curled up on the armchair and almost asleep.

Crack!

Cassiopeia jerked awake, her hands searching for her wand.

"Miss Cassie, it's me," came a croaky voice.

"Kreacher?" Cassie rubbed her eyes, squinting at the old house-elf crouching before her. "What happened? Is Dad fine?" Cassie immediately asked, 

"Master is fine," Kreacher croaked.

"So?" Cassie asked, yawning.

"Miss, you haven't been replying to Master's letters. So Master sent me to check if everything is alright."

Cassie fumbled. She hadn't been replying to him because she didn't know what to say.

"Everything is fine, Kreacher. Tell him exams are coming up, so I won't be communicating much," Cassie said, trying to sound casual.

Kreacher tilted his head, looking unconvinced.

"Who are you talking to?"

Cassie spun around, her heart skipping a beat. Theo stood at the top of the stairs leading to the common room.

"Oh shit," Cassie muttered. She immediately pushed Kreacher behind her chair, trying to shield him from view. "Hide," she instructed urgently.

"Who are you talking to?" Theo repeated, his eyes narrowing.

"What's it to you?" Cassie scoffed, trying to sound nonchalant.

Theo raised his brow "Oh so thats a secret too?"

 "I don't owe you an explanation."

"Oh, right. it's like one of the many secrets you're hiding? Something to do with a certain Hogsmeade trip?"

"What do you think I was doing, Theo?" Cassie snapped

"Searching for your father," Theo replied,