𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 12

"He refused to drop the case, Cassie," Draco said dejectedly.

***********************

Hagrid sat with his eyes red and swollen, tears splashing down the front of his leather vest, while Ron, Hermione, and Harry sat across the table reading the official-looking letter lying open on the table.

"What's this, Hagrid?"

Hagrid's sobs redoubled, but he shoved the letter toward Harry, who picked it up and read aloud:

Dear Mr. Hagrid,

Further to our inquiry into the attack by a hippogriff on a student in your class, we have accepted the assurances of Professor Dumbledore that you bear no responsibility for the regrettable incident.

"Well, that's okay then, Hagrid!" said Ron, clapping Hagrid on the shoulder. But Hagrid continued to sob, and waved one of his gigantic hands, inviting Harry to read on.

However, we must register our concern about the hippogriff in question. We have decided to uphold the official complaint of Mr. Lucius Malfoy, and this matter will therefore be taken to the Committee for the Disposal of Dangerous Creatures. The hearing will take place on April 20th, and we ask you to present yourself and your hippogriff at the Committee's offices in London on that date. In the meantime, the hippogriff should be kept tethered and isolated.

Yours in fellowship...

There followed a list of the school governors.

"Oh," said Ron. "But you said Buckbeak isn't a bad hippogriff, Hagrid. I bet he'll get off."

"He won't, Weasley," Cassie interjected as she entered the hut. Her usually pale face, tinged pink from the cold, a stack of books followed, floating behind her.

Hagrid's wails grew even louder at Cassie's words, prompting a disapproving look from Hermione, which Cassie simply shrugged off as she took a seat opposite Harry.

"I'm positive he will, Hagrid... he isn't dangerous," Hermione insisted.

"Yeh don' know them gargoyles at the Committee fer the Disposal o' Dangerous Creatures!" choked Hagrid, wiping his eyes on his sleeve. "They've got it in fer interestin' creatures!"

A sudden sound from the corner of Hagrid's cabin drew their attention. Buckbeak, the hippogriff, was lying there, chomping on something that oozed blood all over the floor.

"I couldn' leave him tied up out there in the snow!" choked Hagrid, his emotions overwhelming him. "All on his own! At Christmas."

"You'll have to put up a good strong defense, Hagrid," said Hermione, sitting down and laying a hand on Hagrid's massive forearm. "I'm sure you can prove Buckbeak is safe."

"Won't make a difference, Granger," Cassie interjected indifferently. "Lucius has already bribed the jury and executioner... they're all in Lucius Malfoy's pocket."

Hagrid drew his finger swiftly across his throat, then gave a great wail and lurched forward, burying his face in his arms.

"What about Dumbledore, Hagrid?" said Harry.

"He can't do anything in this... he doesn't have more power than Lucius in the Ministry," Cassie remarked bluntly.

"He's done more'n enough for me already," groaned Hagrid. "Got enough on his plate what with keepin' them dementors outta the castle, an' Sirius Black lurkin' around—"

The trio quickly glanced at Cassie, who pretended not to care about the casual mention of her father. Then, they turned to Harry, as though expecting him to start berating Hagrid for not telling him the truth about Black.