Forty-Two

Elijah Kyaire Johnson
27
September 2023
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat in my car infront of the building I was meeting Kaelynn at. Today was our first day seeing a marriage therapist and I was not prepared one bit. I checked the time on my phone before ashing the blunt out just as a car parked right next to me.

I looked to see Kaelynn getting out of her car while looking at mine probably to see if I was still in the car but she couldn't see me cus' my windows were tinted. I watched as she waddled into the building before I got out of my car myself.

I sighed walking into the place before going to Reception where the front desk lady gave me directions to the room we're supposed to be going to. I walked towards the elevator seeing Kaelynn standing there waiting for the doors to open.

"Hey" she smiled small while I nodded my head at her before speaking.

"Wassup" I spoke shortly before slipping my hands into my pockets while we waited a few more seconds for the elevator doors to open. Once it opened, we walked in and she pressed the buttons while I stood back just watching her.

It breaks my heart that this is what we've come to. It's hard spending half your life with someone, putting your all into them for them to turn around and throw it all into your face. I'm not ready to let this go just yet, I'm willing to work things out but I'll still continue to pray on it and go wherever God may lead me.

The elevator doors opened before I let her walk out first before following behind her. We sat down in the waiting area for a few minutes before a black woman came out of a door with a bright smile on her face.

She had perfect honey brown curly hair, pretty doe eyes with full pink lips. She had a curvy, slim thick body as she wore a black high-waisted leather pants, a black turtle neck slim tee, a grey coat with black closed- toe stiletto heels. Don't ask me how I know all these things, I've been married for 5 years and I was raised in a house with 2 women.

"Goodmorning Mr and Mrs. Johnson. Ya'll are welcome to come inside and have a seat" She spoke softly as I snapped out of my thoughts and got up, following behind Kaelynn.

I sat down on the couch while Kaelynn sat down on the other end while the therapist's heels clicked against the wood floors before she joined us with a journal in her hand.

"My name is Janae Wright, I'm 25 years old and I have a master's degree in counseling and psychology. I recently and officially got out of an abusive marriage I've been in for over 7 years. The abuse didn't start until later down the line when we got married 3 years ago and I've only got the courage to speak out about it a year ago when I almost lost my life to it."

"I always share a small part about my personal life to my clients to open a safe space for them and to create a comfortable environment. I really hope that by the end of our sessions, the two of you find happiness again and continue to love each other conditionally."

"But without further ado, shall we get started?" She finished before clasping her hands together and sending us a warm smile while we nodded our heads and prepared for what was about to come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kamari Malachi Bryant
17
September 2023
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sent Ari a text letting her know that I was outside before putting my phone back in the cupholder. Soon after, she walked out of the door with Miracle right behind her. I watched as she waved making me do the same before Ari got into the passenger seat.