Forty-Four

Elijah Kyaire Johnson Sr
27
September 2023
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I sat slouched down on the couch as the Therapist sat silently in her seat while we waited for Kaelynn to show up. She was 15 minutes late for the third time again.

"Do you have any idea where she might be?" She asked softly and I shook my head and shrugged. I watched as she lifted her hand to check the time on her wrist before placing it back in her lap.

Just then the door opened and Kaelynn came wobbling in while a deep sigh left her lips.

"I'm so sorry for keeping you guys waiting, I lost track of time and only realized at the last minute" she apologized as she slowly sat down on the couch next to me.

"It's okay Kaelynn it's totally normal. Shall we get started?" She asked making us nod. I continued to lay back in the seat as we waited for her to start the session.

"Alright, so at our last session we spoke about the faults the both of you have noticed in each other as well as yourselves and how ya'll can better that as individuals and as a couple" she started off saying while we listened and nodded our heads.

"Today, I need ya'll to connect emotionally and express your feelings to one another cause that's one thing I've noticed. Since everything happened, the two of you can't have a matured conversation without it turning into an argument and the constant pointing of fingers. So the aim of today is to bring that to an end and for you two to start communicating positively and appropriately"

"The two of you are a wonderful couple, ya'll share two kids, one on the way and I want your kids to be able to feel the love in the atmosphere whenever they're around the two of you cause I sure did once ya'll walked in here" she spoke and I felt Kaelynn looking at me making me glance at her to see tears building up in her eyes.

"Your marriage is worth fighting for and by the end of our sessions, my job will be done and the rest will be left in your hands. So I need for ya'll to express yourselves freely and not to point fingers or interrupt each other when the other is speaking alright?" She finished and we nodded our heads before she smiled and fixed her position while grabbing her clipboard.

"I'm gonna start with Elijah today. What do you admire, enjoy or respect about your partner?" She asked looking at me while I listened carefully and thought about my answer.

"I admire how she challenges me to grow and learn and helps me become a better version of myself. She definitely plays a part in the man I have grown to be other then my parents. She's a great mom too and I know our babies love her unconditionally. I enjoy being around her and in her presence whether we're just laying down in each others arms or driving around the city together. She just has that typa' aura that attracts people to her and that's what I like most 'bout her. I respect the way she carries herself, her perspective on life makes me want to live more thoughtfully. She knows her strengths and weaknesses and she understands that sometimes people makes mistakes and instead of giving up, she does her best to keep going." I spoke without hesitating while the therapist as well as Kaelynn listened intently.

"That's beautiful Elijah. Your turn mama" she looked at Kaelynn while she let out a low breath before she started speaking.

"I admire him as a father, my bestfriend, my biggest supporter but most importantly, my husband. I feel safe and secure when I'm around him and I can sleep at night knowing that everything will be okay cause I have him by my side." She started saying while her voice cracked making me look at her while she wiped her eyes and the therapist held out a box of tissues for her.

"I enjoy spending everyday with him, waiting for him to come home from work so I can lay in his arms and ask him about his day. I love watching him interact with Ej, it deepens my love for him cause knowing I never had that from my father when I was younger makes me feel better since we are able to give that to our kids. I respect him as a man, the way he treats me and the rest of the women in his life makes me realize that I made a great choice in choosing him" she finished with a soft smile while I stared at her the whole time with my heart swelling from hearing her say all 'det.