The Protector of Skye James- Part 2

Present- 10 years 2028

A rush of adrenaline erupted through my body as the clock reached 2 am. My eyes were wide now and I could hear the small hum of a car below my apartment. I grabbed my shirt and headed towards the cool air seeping through the window.

"Perfect timing", I told myself as I peered down at the car.

As I pulled on the handle and slipped into the vehicle, a flicker of apprehension crossed her features, evident in the slight tensing of her muscles and the brief widening of her eyes. But, as her recognition dawned, she began to relax.

"Hello, Skye," I said softly, keeping my gaze on her.

"Hi", she whispered back but her voice trailed off within the darkness of the car. Her features had changed ever so slightly but even in the darkness I could see her beauty radiating. She was older now, older than when I saw her for the last time at eighteen but my body still tensed and reacted to her the same way as it did all of those years ago.

She eyed me again, "Should we go?". I nodded and she put her foot on the accelerator, veering us off into the dimly lit streets.

"Stop here", I ordered as I motioned towards a park, a few blocks away from my apartment. She turned off the ignition and exited the car so quickly before I could even speak another word. Once I was out of the car and by her side, she glanced at me but her expression had changed. Her eyes grew darker as they pierced into mine.

"What do you want, Sam?", she hissed, her words harsh and dark.

"We need to talk", I retorted.

"At 2am? Like, right now? Is this necessary? It's the middle of fucking winter, Sam and here we are" she responded, obviously aggravated. She shivered as she spoke each word, the cool, icy air swirled in front of her lips, forming a fog.

"I'm well aware of the circumstances, Skye, but I still need to speak to you and I'm going to force you to listen to me if I have to".

Her body tensed in front of me as I spoke and I liked that she felt frightened so I edged closer towards her body, my tall frame towering over her.

My hand found her chin and I swiftly made her look up towards me.

"Don't", she whispered, peering at the ground.

"I know why you're angry, Skye. I know what I did but I can't not talk to you without you knowing the truth".

"I can't" she muttered, her innocent features boiled away quickly. Anger was seeping out of her skin.

I retorted, "I had to join them, I had no choice, your father was-"

Her hands pressed against my chest in an attempt to push me away, yet I remained rooted like an unyielding pillar, immovable.

"My father was a terrible person! And you became worse!" she yelled this time, her anger filtered into my own bones from her words.

I seized her by the neck, thrusting her forcefully against the car door, her eyes shimmering with tears.

"Stop fucking talking, Skye", I demanded. I felt my thought process falter quickly as I reached around to my back, retrieving my gun. The metal of my gun was suddenly pointing up into her hard jawline.

She stood completely silent. Her breathing slowed and the streets around us were quiet like a cemetery. I eyed her intently as tears welled in her eyes.

"I just need you... to listen to me and I won't hurt you, please Skye", I breathed, inhaling the beautiful scent of her delicate skin.

"Please, just let me go, Sam. I will walk away and pretend I never met with you, I swear", her tears began to stream down her face, "I can't do this again".

My fingers remained clenched around the trigger, the gun still aimed at her. I wanted it all to end.

"I can't let you go, I can't let this go" I murmured back to her.

"I need you to stop, Sam, you're hurting me", she spoke softly as her eyes pierced into me again.

My finger tensed on the grip and my hand dropped swiftly to my side, a deafening silence ensued, followed by a relentless ringing that reverberated through my mind. Her body slid down against the car door until she lay there in front of me, motionless. Her beauty dimmed as the light faded from her eyes.