The Protector of Skye James- Part 6

Past- Three months after seeing Skye at the cafe (2023)

Tendrils of my cigarette smoke clouded in front of my face and spiralled into the night sky as I stood in the darkness. The first drops of rain began to fall, accompanied by a distant crack of thunder and lighting that briefly lit up my surroundings. I peered down at my watch. 1 o'clock. Skye still hadn't arrived home. I turned and grabbed the door handle of my car when lights suddenly lit up the street. Getting into my car, I glanced through the windshield as the car smoothly glided to a stop by the sidewalk in front of her house. I watched as he got out and rounded the passenger side. He bent down towards the seat, laced her arm around his shoulder and neck as he lifted her gently, carrying her towards the front door. She lay lifeless in his arms, her eyes closed. I watched as he opened the door and took her upstairs, each light illuminating the halls and the room he entered. His shadow indicated that he placed her down on the bed and quickly turned the lights off. My hands gripped the steering wheel tightly, my knuckles turned white. I clenched my jaw and sighed. Suddenly, the front door opened, he stepped out looking ahead, quickly surveying the paths to his right and left and then headed to his car. His car rumbled as it started and soon the streets were silent again as he veered off into the distance. The rain started to thrash against my car. I headed towards her front door and slipped into the heavy darkness of her apartment. The constant thunder erupted loudly, silencing my steps through her home. Rainwater was dripping from my drenched clothes as my hand slid slowly along the walls until I reached her bedroom. I glided the door open carefully and there she lay, still dressed and sound asleep. I could smell the strong scent of liquor emanating from her skin and I watched her for a moment by the door then dared myself to close the distance between us.

"Skye", I whispered, her breathing slow and even. I settled carefully down on the bed next to her, watching the rhythm of her breaths on her chest. With my hand reached out slowly in front of me, my fingers carefully traced her jawline and up to her forehead where hair strands spread across her face. I carefully brushed aside the strands of hair and her body moved slightly. I froze. I waited until she settled again and breathed a quiet sigh of relief that I hadn't woken her. I glanced at her and then quickly around the room when suddenly, the lightning illuminated her nightstand briefly. A rapid flash of a medicine bottle lit up before my eyes. My eyes narrowed onto the bottle label as I picked it up. Miss Skye James: Sertraline 50 mg- Take one tablet daily in the morning or evening with water. A large crack of thunder erupted as I read it and I glanced at her quickly.

"Look what I've done to you" I whispered to her, my eyebrows furrowed deeply, feeling my heart constrict painfully within my chest, "You have no idea how fucking sorry I am, Skye". With my words lingering in the charged atmosphere, I rose from the bed and quietly left the room, the weight of my actions heavy on my shoulders.