The Protector of Skye James- Part 12

Past- 3 weeks later (2025)

Candice's phone rang from the bathroom and I heard her answer it "Hey! Yeah, I'm getting ready now, I'm so keen for tonight. Yes, okay, see you soon!", she squealed in excitement.

Her face appeared around the door frame, "Are you sure you don't want to come out, babe?", she asked, a makeup brush in her hand.

"No", I said dryly, sipping on my second glass of whiskey, the tv providing me a solid distraction from my negative thoughts. I heard Candice sigh heavily and return to the mirror.

Half an hour later, she reappeared in front of me; a tight red dress hugged her body and of course her long legs were extended by a pair of heels.

"How do I look?", she asked.

I glanced at her quickly, "Beautiful", I said, looking back at the tv.

"Um, okay, well I'll be home later", she said, pressing a quick kiss on my cheek.

Two hours later, my phone vibrated three times on the table in front of me. I sighed heavily and leant forward to retrieve it. 3 missed calls- Rhys. 4 missed calls- Daniel

I exhaled sharply and listened to the lone voicemail on my phone. Dialling the number, I pressed the phone to my ear, focusing on the voice on the other end.

Loud voices and music erupted through the speaker for a few seconds and then a voice spoke "Yo, Sam, it's Rhys. We've been trying to ring you for the last two hours man. Listen, you should have come out tonight, it's wild here!", Rhys laughed. Then I heard someone else grab the phone, another voice spoke, "Gimme the fucking phone man. Hey Sam! Look, Candice is here tonight, you might want to come out now, there's something you need to see". I rolled my eyes and kept listening. "Oh...and...um..Skye's here..at the club I mean... she doesn't look....too good". My heart thudded inside my chest and I abruptly ended the voicemail. I started my car with a powerful rumble.