chapter 33

..

..

..

MATCH DAY.

Right now I'm just seating in our pavilion with my eyes closed and my entire body shaking with nervousness. It's a lot pressure to play in big tournaments like world cup at the age of just 25, that too as opening batsman. And the lack of practice is just adding fuel to the fire. I feel like I'll die out of nervousness. Yesterday I left immediately after that call with heavy feet, leaving my wife and my a month old kid behind. 

 Rohit Bhaiya was out for the toss and we won the toss and choose so field first.

It was easy at first... Our bowlers did the half of the job done with their finest bowling. Siraj, Bumrah and shami took 2 wickets each.  Kiwi's gave us the target of 257 which was pretty chaseable. In short, first inning was in our court completely.

Then after a break the second innings took place. Me and Rohit Bhaiyya was all set to go on the field for opening.

It was going fine. Rohit bhaiyya took a strike and started playing. I was just passing the strike to him. He played some big shots and got runout on 26. Damn.

Suryakumar yadav came on his place. He started playing but Kane williamson took his catch and he was out on just 3 runs.

Again, on number 4 Virat bhaiyya joined me on the field. He scored 17 and got LBW by trent boult. God Noooo....

With virat bhaiyya's wicket strategic timeout was announced. I sat on the Field. Again with my hands shaking out of nervousness. God, I knew I was the last Batsman left. After me it's just all rounders amd bowlers in the line. I can't. I sat there when rohit bhaiyya ran towards me with a water bottle in his hand.

"Bhaiyya I don't know how I....."

"I have a message for you" he said breathing heavily.

What?

He took out my phone from his pocket and shoved to my face.

There was a message... from Jyotica...

I opened it.. It said,

"Dear Shubi,

I don't know you'll be able to read this message before your match or not, but i can definately sense that you're nervous. Remember you're Shubman Gill. You know you've got it. We all know you can do it.

You know our boy is watching his dada play for the very first time. He laugh everytime you shows up on the screen. Silly.

Remember what I told you before GT's finale, whaterver you're doing, do it with your heart, and the results will be in your favour. And you've done it before too right. So don't stress out. Just know we're always here with you and we're so proud of you. Love you. Best of luck."

God. This is something i needed in this very moment. Ive.. I've done it before too.. I've saved my team before.. It isn't the first time. Yeah..I took a break for a month. But how can i forget I've practiced  this for years.  I can do it. And my boy is watching me too. Yes I've got it..

I gave my phone back to bhaiyya and the timeout was over too. He gave me a smile and went back to the pavilion.

Abhishek was on the field with me. He was on non strike. I took a strike with a run. The first ball from boult went back to audience with a six. Yeah..  That's a shot.