42. You know you can tell me anything.

Later, when Ferrie got home from school, she fell onto the couch and watched television for almost an hour until Martin arrived home. He walked straight into the lounge and turned the TV off.

"I was watching that," she stated obviously.

"Can you tell me why I found what looked like a pill next to the drain this morning?" He confronted her calmly.

"Because I dropped it in there before I left for school," she responded obviously and just as calmly.

"Do you want to go back to rehab?"

"No, dad. I did it because I'm better now! I know I am..." she exclaimed emotionally. Martin's face softened.

"How long have you been doing it for?"

"Since I got out..."

"Nearly a week? Okay, you've been pretty good so far, then," he reasoned.

"Yes, dad. I really, really didn't like those pills. Well, I don't like any pills... but those ones were the worst. They made me cry every day and I felt so depressed when I was on them," she muttered in an extra miserable tone.

"What? I didn't know..."

"Yes, and the people at the Brian Lawson centre forced me to take them, and forced me down to inject me with it, which made me feel even worse..." she said as her eyes began to tear up. "I mean, you saw me when I was in there..."

"I'm sorry, Ferrie. I didn't know. You should have just told me," he responded, now feeling guilty.

"I didn't tell you because I felt too embarrassed," she glanced shamefully away from him.

"You know you can tell me anything," he encouraged gently. "Okay then, you don't have to take the medication. But any signs of the behaviour that got you into rehab will get you back on the pills, alright?" He asked to see her nod. She had heard all his threats many times before, and knew he was usually a pushover when it came to enforcing them. Martin went to walk away but paused as she spoke again.

"Dad?"She asked softly and he glanced back at her. "The TV..."
Martin smiled gently and took the few steps back over to switch the picture boxback on before walking away again, allowing Ferrie to roll her eyes once he wasout of sight.

The next afternoon, the couple were the first people to arrive at the freedom party, finding Steve was in the dining area setting up the keg as they wandered into his house.

"My dudes," he greeted them. "How goes it?"

"Good, bro," Damian stated as they walked past. "Need any help?"

"I am sussed!" He replied enthusiastically. "Carry on. I shall be with you in a bit. It's gonna be a good night."

"Damn right it will be," Ferrie remarked excitedly.

Across in the main lounge, they found the furniture had been moved into a comfortable circle or square, around the coffee table in the middle.

"This is nice," Ferrie commented. Damian agreed, then sat on the single-seater couch. He placed their alcohol down beside the chair and plucked two vodka bottles from the box. After twisting the caps off he tapped his thigh to suggest Ferrie sit down. She smiled and gladly did, and also relieved him of a vodka too. They were happy just enjoying each other's company for a while until Lenka walked in and joined them.

"Hi guys," he greeted them, sitting on the seat nearest them on the three-seater.

"Hey, Lenk," Damian smiled, feeling glad to see someone else appear.