70. Hope Turned To Disappointment

Vhagar lands strongly on the ground following by a loud roar.

Aemond stays on the beasts for a while longer, knowing that when he gets down, he'll have to go back to the keep. However, duty calls and routines that he has made must not be broken, it is of the utmost importance for his need for control and his own sanity.

He straightened his black coat and hair before going up to Vhagar so she could see her, thank her for having her. His years without a dragon had been terrible, and now he didn't know what he would have done or what he would be worth if Vhagar wasn't by his side.

"Thank you" He slowly ran his hands over her scales as he spoke in high Valyrian.

He thanked the seven every day for her, this beast, as he often called them, was his stamp of dignity. Dignity and the right to call himself a Targaryen.

One memory that always managed to bring a smile to his face was when he used to run around the garden like a little naïve child, trying to chase and tame dragons that didn't exist. Dragons as he pretended. Hiding among the trees and bushes, but the closest thing to a dragon he could find was a lizard. He wasn't even allowed to keep it before Helaena came and begged and pleaded with her dough eyes that she knew very well would make him budget. She had ended up getting the lizard.

Then every time he would pass a place where Aegon was sitting, he would laugh about it with that damned cup of wine in his hand.

'Can't you say no to a girl?'

'If she asks to braid your hair, would you let her?'

Ironic, he thought. Alyssa would stop talking to him during dinner because something he had done that made her annoyed. Then he would come crawling like a fucking dog.

The distant sound of footsteps made him let go of these thoughts, instead he turned to see his youngest and favorite brother coming down the small stairs that led to where he was standing.

The wind beat in Aemond's face from where he stood, the funeral was slow and boring at most, the courage to go up to Alyssa and talk to her was still not gathered and Aegon was of no help.

He had previously stood by his side and discussed his future marriage, but the only thing he got back was complaints and never-ending bitching and moaning about how unhappy he was, how unfair it all was.

Eldest children be damned...

At that moment, no one bothered him, it wasn't about him either and he was happy about that, then he didn't have to put up with a lot of people who are going to offer their condolences and say how sad they were for him.

His mind wandered through time and space, there was a lot going through his head at that moment and it felt like something in him was missing at that moment. He missed his brother...

"What is it, lad?"

Aemond was turned to the sound of his grandsire's voice, all he felt was a sense of disappointment. He had returned from Oldtown and regained his position as hand of the king. That wasn't what disappointed Aemond, he knew it benefited and made his mother happy. No, It was only that on his way there, Sir Otto had forgotten somebody.

Aemond took a deep breath, keeping his gaxe fixed against the sea as he spoke. "I had hope that my little brother would join you on your journey back."

Daeron was the brother that Aemond needed, the brother he was sure would agree with him, understand him, and stand behind him. Aegon was always drunk and always had something to complain about. For the young prince, it felt like the gods didn't have the goodwill and desire to offer him anything good.