An Object In Motion...

Later That Night...

3rd Person POV:

While brushing her teeth, Phoebe noticed that the chess pieces she had set out that morning had suddenly shifted. A white knight had shifted positions on the board, just behind another rogue pawn. She shifted one of her pawns forward, opposing the white pawn. Just as quick, another white pawn moved beside its knight. Phoebe took her knight, knocking out the closest pawn, as the white knight trembled, before levitating and shooting her knight far off the board behind her.

The PKE Meter she had previously set on her nightstand buzzed and hummed, kicking to life. The lights blink erratically, as if trying to point her in the direction of an invisible figure in the room. She waved it around, watching as her bedroom door swung open. She followed outside into the hallway while a wall light buzzed behind her. Then another, leading her down a trail down the stairs and into her living room. Walking past her mother, she stopped in front of an old leather recliner.

The old chair jolted forward, pushing her onto it, and spinning around, some mismatched floor tiles now at her feet. She inspected it closer, removing one of the out of place pieces. Phoebe took the remaining tiles, shifting them around until she uncovered a small compartment in the floor, pulling out an old and dusty ghost trap.

She decided to bring it back to her bedroom and bring it to school the next morning.

The Next Day...

Regular POV

Instead of Cujo playing, Mr. Grooberson must've been feeling lucky. He decided to run Child's Play instead. You didn't really mind, enjoying the silly violence, especially considering the red-headed doll kept repeating the "Hi I'm Chucky, wanna play?" line over and over again.

On your left, Podcast tried to break into this strange looking device on the table. He took a battered wooden ruler, trying to use as much leverage as possible, causing the twiggy thing to snap with barely any force.

"Dude, what are you doing? This is the best scene in the whole movie!" You whisper-shouted, trying to get his attention.

He turned to you, huffing, "I need to know what's lurking inside."

Mr. Grooberson glanced up from his newspaper, you assumed he was going to shush you and go back to his boring reads. Instead, his eyes grew wide, jumping up to see if he saw correctly. He waddled over to your tables, grinning.

"No way, killer replica!" He smirked, running his fingers over the top of the machine.

"Totally!" Podcast sarcastically grumbled.

"A replica of what?" Phoebe quizzed, raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, what is this thing?" You grumbled, swiveling your seat to face them.

"A trap." Mr. Grooberson explained.

The three of you each had a skeptical and unknowing look, causing Grooberson to grimace.

"A ghost trap? Seriously, how do you, of all people, not know about this?" He nudged Podcast's shoulder.

"I'm ashamed." Podcast muttered under his breath.

"Oh, I was obsessed! New York in the 80s was like The Walking Dead." Grooberson went on, his face seemed like he was remembering his own glory days.

"Then it just stopped?" Phoebe asked.

"This sounds familiar, didn't they make a movie about that?" You joked, shrugging.