Chapter 17

They set out as the pale slightly red moon rose in the sky, with Menace in the lead and Maple padding alongside Flowertail.

Great. 

What a wonderful start to the journey.

"Can't you lead the way? I'm sure you'd love to boss every cat around." Flowertail rolled her eyes.

"In your dreams." Maple snorted. "I'm not leaving you alone with Menace."

"What am I going to do, kill him? Seriously?" Flowertail snorted.

"Or worse..." Maple muttered ominously. "I mean, you-"

"Shut up." Flowertail meowed suddenly.

"What?! No, you shut up you piece of-" Maple growled.

"Be quiet! I can hear some cat nearby. Tell Menace to wait here." Flowertail darted off into the heather bushes, and for a few seconds, she worried Maple wouldn't tell Menace where she'd gone, but she reassured herself that despite how much they loathed each other, she didn't think Maple would desert her on her own. 

Right?

She followed the strange scent, which she decided was a loner, to a clump of thick bushes. In the center, a tortoiseshell tom was grooming himself. He had bright green eyes, which blinked in surprise when they saw Flowertail.

He immediately smirked, sitting up. "Why hello.  What's a pretty young she-cat like you doing all alone?"

Flowertail's pelt started to bristle. "Call me pretty one more time and-"

"I'll murder you." Menace finished venomously, stalking over. He looked more annoyed than Flowertail had ever seen him, which was strange, since he was usually rather calm.

Plus, there wasn't any reason for him to argue with this tom...right?

Maple followed after Menace, her eyes round with curiousity.

"Do you flirt with all the she-cats you meet?" Flowertail snapped.

"Just the pretty ones."

Menace unsheathed his claws and Maple quickly stood in front of him. "Let's not start killing cats the moment we see them, shall we?" Maple suggested, and Flowertail stared in shock at her.

Maple not wanting a fight? What in StarClan is going on here?!

"My name's Cliff." He meowed smoothly.

"We don't care." Menace hissed.

"Speak for yourself. Could you try to be nice just once, Menace?" Maple snorted.

Who are you and what have you done with Maple?

"What are you three doing? You smell like Clan cats." Cliff wrinkled his muzzle. 

"We're looking for my sister." Maple replied politely, and Flowertail stared at her, astounded. "She's a black she-cat and she was taken prisoner by-"

"A cream colored tom?" Cliff finished suspiciously.

"Yeah." Menace answered begrudgingly.

"I saw him padding away with her along with a group of other cats. I followed them for a few days before I got bored. I can show you where they went." He offered. 

"That would be grea-" Maple started.

"No thanks." Menace interrupted stiffly. "We'll just follow the scent trail, thanks."

"It's going to rain tonight, and the scent will be washed away. Besides, they've been travelling for a few days, and you'll lose the scent eventually." Cliff warned them.

"We'd love your help." Maple answered sweetly.

"I'd love to help you." Cliff responded, and his warm gaze locked onto Flowertail.

I swear he's basically asking me to tear his pelt off and use it to-

"We don't need your help." Menace grumbled.

"Ignore him."

"Are you sick or something?" Flowertail asked, almost concerned.

Maple just glared at her.

"Don't worry, you guys will find your sister in no time." Cliff smirked again.

"Trust me."