Chapter 5

118 reads! I think I'm going to cry!

Sophie took a deep breath.

She wasn't letting Keefe go without a fight.

It was seriously time to open up to him.

she cradled the flame.

She couldn't lose Keefe now.

KEEFE! She transmitted. IT'S FOSTER!

she felt the flame get a little bigger.

Look. I know that few things keep you going. And you don't think you're loved Or wanted. But people are crying over you! and I know you don't think the world is too good to deserve you. And the world doesn't! You're so much better than the world! I love you so much, Keefe. and I know you hid behind jokes, and that you're tied together with a smile, but the smile is thinning and you're coming undone! it's not going to hold you together anymore!

"The world has too much hate." Keefe's mental voice said. that was a good sign. "Here, I'm in peace. everything is peaceful and quiet! I feel free!"

If you want to come back for the world, come back for me. Your Fos-Boss.

The flame got bigger. So much bigger. but not big enough.

Sophie fed it images of her and Keefe together.

The flame was now a blaze. but still not big enough.

She fed it one last image.

The image of the first time Keefe had told her that he cared. The one where they flew on Silveny to get her abilities fixed. Keefe had taken care of her that day. That was when she realized how much she liked him. She never noticed how much her heart raced when she saw Keefe. even before they had kissed. or before he ran away with the neverseen.

The moment the image was fed to the blaze, it became a blinding all consuming inferno. Then like that it disappeared. 

Keefe? Sophie transmitted. Keefe? Please be here! KEEFE!

she called for a few minutes, but Keefe didn't reply.

she sat in Keefe's mind. it felt so cold.

Sophie left Keefe's mind.

The moment she left, she started weeping.

she curled into a ball and sobbed.

She couldn't save Keefe.

She had tried so hard.

But Keefe was gone.