How's It Going To Be

A/N: Hi everyone! Happy early 4th of July to anyone who celebrates.

Song: How's It Going To Be - Third Eye Blind

All day, Eren was unable to concentrate on anything. Ever since Jean had casually suggested that he leave Levi, Eren's mind had been spinning. It made Eren feel slightly stupid that a farm animal had given him the simple advice. He wasn't sure why he never thought of the solution beforehand. 

It's because you don't actually want to leave. 

Shut up, brain. 

Eren didn't even need to dig deep to know it was true. A few scratches of a fingernail was enough to uncover how his heart truly felt. 

For the first half of the day, Eren couldn't focus due to the lack of food in his system. He hadn't eaten since dinner last night and that food had been flushed away this morning. 

He productively used his time to make the two halves of his heart agree. His head was staying out of this one. It wasn't often involved in his decision making anyway. His heart did what it wanted, and his brain prayed he didn't end up in too much trouble. 

Meanwhile, inside Eren's body, a battle between the two conflicted parts of Eren's heart continues:

Heart 1: We've gotta get the fuck out now. I notice how fast Heart 2 beats whenever Levi shows concern for Eren. Nothing good can come from this, so listen to me and take Jeanny-boy's advice. 

Heart 2: No! I'm tired of being lonely and left behind. Levi wants to take care of me and I'm riding that train all the way to the station. 

Heart 1: Don't come crying to me when you are shattered again. You know how this game goes. If Eren's own parents abandoned him, what makes you think a guy you've known for a week will handle you any differently? 

Heart 2: I...I... 

Heart 1: Exactly. Judge, may I present Evidence 1? 

Brain: You may. 

Heart 1: I would ask the nonexistent jury to question where Eren's parents are. 

Heart 2: What are you trying to do? Break me? 

Heart 1: No, just point out the obvious. There is no guarantee that someone will stay by your side. Expecting Levi to is sheer folly. Now for Evidence 2. Where are Eren's friends? 

Heart 2: What are you talking about? We saw Jean this morning. 

Heart 1: I'm talking about his best friend since childhood, Armin. And what about Connie and Sasha? They were all good friends until Sophomore year. 

Heart 2: That's because you pushed them away when you convinced me it was for our own good. 

Heart 1: Yeah, well they didn't stick around to put up with our shit anyway, so I was right in the end. 

Heart 2: *deep sigh* 

Heart 1: Have I ever let you get broken again in the last three years? 

Heart 2: *reluctantly* No. 

Heart 1: Then trust me. There is no good in getting attached to people. I hate to admit it, but Spirit, Stallion of the Cimarron, gave us our best solution to keep us safe. Simply leaving before Levi can leave us. 

Heart 2: I guess you're right. 

Heart 1: Of course I am. Your Honor, we have come to a consensus. We will be withdrawing from Levi's guardianship and returning home. It is now your duty to make it happen.