Learning How To Love

"Levi! Where are my sneakers?!" Eren yelled shrilly.

"Marco fucking Bodt, kid. They should be by the door where I make you take them off everyday."

Last week, Marco came over to the apartment to help Eren with his college applications. Eren could think of no one kinder who would want to help him or patient and calm enough to handle his rages at the countless stupid essays he had to write. Even Levi had had enough of Eren's insane bursts of wrath.

Levi didn't blame the kid. Eren was very excited about the prospect of college, especially if he got into Stohess University. His high school record was doing nothing to help him get into the school of his dreams, however, and it was causing the boy immense stress. He had no idea which teachers would fudge a letter of recommendation for him given his past attitude problems in school and occasional fights after school. His grades were superb, but colleges no longer accepted students based on intelligence. They looked at extra-curricular activities, of which Eren had none unless shoplifting counted, which it surprisingly didn't.

Marco, being the saint he was, offered to help Eren find good topics to write his essays on and even went with him to speak with teachers about letters of recommendation. Truly, Marco Bodt was an angel. His name soon replaced Jesus Christ in Eren and Levi's minds, which explains the current morning dialogue.

Eren darted out of Levi's bedroom, anxiety causing anger causing him to yell, "Don't 'Marco fucking Bodt' me, Levi. Today is the first day of basketball tryouts and I am fucking pissing myself."

"Tch. Disgusting, brat."

"I CAN'T PLAY BASKETBALL IF I DON'T HAVE SNEAKERS!"

"Stop shouting, Eren. Calm the fuck down. Did you check your room yet? We bought the shoes four days ago and this apartment isn't that big. They have to be here somewhere."

Eren sprinted into his bedroom and came running back out a minute later, basketball sneakers in hand.

"Did you even check your room or did you forget you had one of your own after infiltrating mine for the past few nights?"

It was the wrong thing to say. Eren was stressed enough about applying to colleges and the basketball tryouts, he didn't need to doubt whether Levi secretly resented sharing his bed when Eren had a nightmare.

Sighing guiltily, Levi approached Eren and gripped his shoulders tight, staring straight into the boy's wary eyes.

"You know you are welcome to sleep in my room if you have a nightmare, brat, so don't worry about it. If it really bothered me, I would kick you off the bed. So calm down and focus on basketball tryouts. You have been practicing for the past few weeks with your friends and I've heard your little cheerleader Armin bragging about how you easily dunked when that big ass tree Bertholdt was blocking you. If you can score over a titan like him, you have nothing to worry about. Deep breaths, kid, you're going to do great. Hanji and Erwin wish you luck too."

Eren's tense shoulders relaxed and he took a calming breath. "Thanks Levi. Tell Hanji and Erwin thanks for me too."

"Tell them yourself. They are coming over tonight for dinner. Don't ask me why, because I sure as fuck didn't invite them." Eren shut his open mouth, his question being answered.

"Don't forget to fill a water bottle. And are you sure you packed everything? Your homework? Gym bag? Lunch?"

"Yes, yes, and...no. Where's my lunch?"

"Check the fridge."

"Got it!"

"Fantastic. Now hurry the fuck up or you'll be late."