Caine Pov

"Okay, so what exactly are you looking for?" Mace asked me.

"Anything that has to do with my father." I told him.

"Are you at least going to tell me why?"

"No, I can't at the moment; just help me look, please." I wish I could tell Mace why I'm looking for information on my dad, but I agreed with the Moon goddess not to tell, and I will do just that. I don't want anything to go wrong because I told someone other than Lola. 

I waited until a day after the girls left to try and figure out what truly happened to my father.

"Well, can you at least tell me why were in Doc's chamber looking?"

"No, I can't, unfortunately." I know once I get everything together, Mace will understand why I went looking for my father's files. I started in Doc's chamber because him being in my mother's room rubbed me the wrong way. 

I know Doc loves to golf, so I had one of my gammas take him golfing to distract him, and I told my gammas to mind-link me once they made their way back, and that was an hour ago.

"I found a file!" Mace yelled. I quickly made my way to him and grabbed the files from his hands.

"Thank you; keep searching, please."

I opened up the files and saw a picture of my dad beside the picture of the wolf banes that supposedly killed him. There were two copies of this paper, one with a whole paragraph scratched out and another with no mistakes on it. I folded up the documents with the scratched-out paragraph and put them in my pockets. I started helping Mace look through more files again.

"Maybe we should look through his computer." Mace suggested.

"That's a great idea, Mace! What do you think we should search for?" I asked him.

"We can start with his emails."

"Right, we'll look up my father's name first, then my mother." I told him. Right away, Mace looked up my father's name in Doc emails, and a few messages popped up. I didn't want to waste any time, so I decided to just open each email and take a picture. I had Mace do the same for my mom, but I couldn't help but read the things that they were sending to each other.

"Why would your mom ask which one is the cure?" Mace questioned.

"I don't know, but let's take more pictures and hurry out of here. We will go over the emails later." I told him.

I got the rest of the pictures just in time as my gamma mind linked me, letting me know that they were on their way back. I had Mace exit out of his email and clear his recent history. We put everything back where the doctor left it and returned to my quarters to go over everything we found. Once we made it to the office, I locked the door and got everything set to go over.

"Let's mind link everything we have to say to each other. I don't want to slip up." I told Mace.

"Okay, but how are we going to figure out what's behind the scratches?" Mace asked me through the mind link.

"Maybe we could look something up to help us out." I informed him.

Mace began to search online, as I looked through the emails I took a picture of between Doc, my father, and my mother. There wasn't anything suspicious about Doc and my father's emails, but with my mother, they started off innocent, then quickly became inappropriate.

"I found something." Mace stated.

"Me too, and I'm not liking what I found, so let's start with yours." I told Mace.

"We can scratch over the whole paragraph with a pencil on a clean piece of paper." He told me. I nodded my head and motioned for him to continue.

"While I get started on that, tell me what you've found." Mace stated.

"The conversation with my mom and doc went from innocent to inappropriate very quickly. They were sleeping around behind my father's back, and Doc confessed his love to my mother a week before my parents last trip together." I told Mace.

"What the hell, man! You thought that there was something going on between them." He stated.

"Yeah, I did, but honestly, I didn't want to think that they were sleeping together."

"Okay, I think I have something. I wasn't able to get the whole paragraph, but I got some words out of it."

"Read it to me."

"Wolfs bane and... blunt force trauma to the head." Mace informed me nervously.

"Blunt force trauma to the head? That means she hit him with something hard in the head on purpose?"

"Yes.... or he could've fallen really hard."

"No, my mother mentioned that they were sitting at the table eating their lunch when he passed."

We froze once we heard a knock on the door. I hid everything in my drawer and exited out of the screen on my computer."

"Who is it?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"It's your mother."

She was not the person I wanted to see at the moment.

"One second." I got up and unlocked the door to be face-to-face with my mother.

"What do you want?" I asked her.

"Don't speak with me that way, Caine; I am your mother." It took all of me not to cause a scene, but I held my composure and faked it through.

"I'm sorry, mom. I'm just trying to get some things done. What were you needing?" I asked her.

"I was meaning to talk with you about your mate." She stated.

"What about her?" I questioned.

"I just wanted to make sure you knew that you could always reject her and be mateless." She told me while shrugging her shoulders. "It could be just you and I ruling the pack." 

She's lost her shit, and I have to calm down before I lose mine. I rolled my eyes and corrected her.

"Mother, that's never going to happen. I love my mate, and she loves me. We are going to run this pack together." I told her in the nicest way I could. She frowned and carried on the conversation.

"You know what I was thinking; I don't think your father would be too fond of her if he were here." I completely lost my shit.

"LIKE YOU CARED ABOUT WHAT MY FATHER THOUGHT! YOU WERE TOO BUSY PLAYING HOUSE WITH DOC AND TRYING TO FIND A WAY TO KILL MY FATHER OFF TO LIVE IN YOUR FAKE FANTASY! MACE MIND LINK MY GAMMA'S AND TELL THEM TO LOCK DOC UP IN THE CELLARS!" I watched as my mother's face turned from sad to shocked. I grabbed her in my office and locked the doors.

"Caine wait! I can explain! Your father wanted me to be happy; he just didn't want you to know!"

"MOM STOP! If that was the case, why did you poison him and then hit him across the head? HUH."

"That wasn't me; it was Doc!"

"MOM, I DON'T HAVE TIME FOR THIS SHIT! MY FATHER LOVED YOU, AND YOU KILLED HIM FOR DOC!"

"DOC WAS MY TRUE MATE, NOT YOUR FATHER!"

"ENOUGH! Mace contact the counsel and have the documents ready. Mom, you and Doc are no longer a part of this pack; I'll wait for counsel to make it official."

"No, you can't tell your uncles about this; they'll kill me!" My mother cried out.

"You should've thought of that before you killed my father." I told her through gritted teeth. I'm completely broken. Not only did I lose my father, I lost my mother as well. I can't believe we figured this out as quickly as we did. I can't wait to tell Lola I figured out what happened to my father. In the mean time, I have to go run off my emotions.

"Mace, take her to the cellars and put her in a different block from Doc." I told him.