29

I was only half paying attention to the Crash Course Astronomy playlist going on my phone. Nick was still sleeping. He hasn't blacked out much lately, he just gets tired very easily. I noticed that his hands were twitching again. I didn't know if he wanted me anywhere near him so I continued watching Crash Course.

Happy Box also appeared to be sleeping, which is absolutely adorable.

I listened to everything going on in the apartment. The rainbow road theme was playing in the background as usual. Someone, probably Alex, was making something in the kitchen. I hoped that it was pancakes. Happy Box was making a lot of electrical noises. Nick's breathing was uneven and shaky as usual. The host of Crash Course Astronomy was talking about Pluto, but my mind was far past there.

Everything was peaceful for these few minutes, but then Happy Box's various monitors started flashing. It then continued to ram into Nick repeatedly and fall into the center of the mega couch.

Nick woke up suddenly and looked over at the flashing lights coming from the center of the mega couch.

"What just happened?"

"I think Happy Box tried to wake you up." I laughed, placing Happy Box back on the couch. Its metallic wheels turned slowly.

"Crash Course?"

"Yeah, as you know I love space." I sighed.

"I think deep space is better than just... Space."

"I do too."

Nick didn't say anything else and Happy Box had finally calmed down.

A door opened. Knowing it was Alex, I scampered to the other side of the mega couch.

"You guys are actually more than 5 feet away from each other! I didn't know that was possible." Alex smirked.

"We were talking about deep space if you wanted to--"

"You're basically just second graders."

"Alex... Do you even know when to stop?!"

"Tell me when to stop."

"You should stop when your best friend is dying and the only way to try to cheer him up is talking about deep space."

"Whatever." Alex suddenly left the room.

I crawled back over to Nick.

"So you admit it."

"So I admitted what?"

"That I'm dying."

"I only used that to guilt trip Alex." I felt bad lying to Nick like this, but I had to make it seem like I was the most optimistic person in the world.

After many more videos of space and adventures, I had an idea.

"We should go on an adventure." I smiled.

"When?" Nick's eyes instantly lit up.

"I'll tell you."

••9 PM••

"It's adventure time!" I cheered.

"Where are we going?"

"I'll show you."

Nick and I rushed to the front door.

"Where are you going this late?" Bob asked.

"On an adventure!" I dashed out the door before Bob could even ask any more questions.

Nick followed me, with Happy Box trailing behind him.

"W-What if--"

"Happy Box will let us know."