34

Paul drove the tour bus to the laser tag place while we all created strategies of running around shooting lasers like a bunch of nine year olds.

Once we arrived, Strawberry made teams. As usual, Alex, Nick, and I were against Strawberry, Paul, and Bob.

Five minutes later, the game had actually started.

"I'm... Gonna go." I shrugged, leaving Alex and Nick back at the base.

••ANOTHER POV••

Glasie had been gone for a few minutes now. Nick was sitting on the ground holding Happy Box. It was so dark in here that I could barely see him. But then the lights flickered and I noticed that he was trying to hide his face in his arms.

"You okay?" I asked, sitting on the ground next to him.

Nick shrugged.

"Can I tell you something?"

"Y-Yeah..."

"When I was carrying you back from that forest... I told you some things..."

"I-I know."

"Seriously?!"

"Yeah."

"I didn't think you would remember anything..."

"I only remember a little bit... But I know..."

"What?"

"You should have just left me to die in that forest. I-I think I deserve it for bringing you guys down... All the time..."

"Calm down..."

"I-I don't want.... I don't... Want... Any of this..."

"Nick... No tears. Not now."

"I-I wish... I just... N-Never... Existed..."

I wrapped my arms around Nick's tiny body. He was shaking uncontrollably.

"Y-You don't.... H-Have to.... Care about me..."

"Shh... You're okay. Just keep breathing, that's all." I pressed my face against Nick's shoulder.

We stayed silent for a few minutes before deciding to actually play laser tag. I went to go find Glasie while Nick guarded the base.

••GLASIE'S POV••

"Where were you?" I asked Alex when he suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

"Nick was getting emotional again and I had to calm him down."

"Is he alright?"

"Yeah, he's fine. Let's just crush these scores."

"Don't need to, I'm already winning."

I realized that Strawberry and Paul had skill but no accuracy, and Bob totally wasn't into it. Alex and I were perfect for this. He was logical and I was more creative. I found out where the best locations for laser spams were, and Alex made the escape plan. With this strategy, we were crushing the other team within a few minutes.

"Where's Nick? He should be over here by now." Alex suddenly realized.

"Yeah, I don't know."

It was then that we heard Happy Box making noises. The power started getting wonky. The lights flickered. The cheesy EDM music cut off.

"Something has really really gone wrong." Alex whispered.

"Is that a Treason Animals reference?"