27

The first thing I noticed about the dark hospital room was that it was cold. And silent.

"Hey Glasie." I heard Nick's muffled voice from a pile of blankets.

I then noticed that Nick wasn't even trying to look presentable. He was face planted into some blankets in complete darkness.

"Dude, it's frickin cold in here." I laughed.

Nick looked up. His sweaty hair was plastered to his forehead.

"You want me to like... Open a window or something?" I asked as I walked over to him.

Nick didn't answer. His bloodshot eyes followed me.

"Hey... At least you're awake." I laughed.

"I-I don't want to be awake... I want this all to be... Over..." Now his voice was still muffled, but less muffled, by the oxygen mask.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"W-What do you think, Glas? I know you like describing. Describe this. Then you'll know."

"So... You want me to describe you...?"

"If you're not comfortable..."

"It's fine. Here goes I guess..."

I sat down next to Nick. He moved the tubes and wires away from me. I didn't mind them anyway.

"Your hair is a sweaty mess. Your eyes are bloodshot. An oxygen mask. An IV. A bandaged arm. Cold. Really cold. You've gotten incredibly pale since you left. And you're shaking... Can I stop now? I don't like this..."

"Yeah, sure. Do you understand now?"

"Kinda..."

"I've noticed some things, Glasie... I've noticed that you have amazing adventures when I'm not with you. I've noticed how close you and Alex are when I'm not there. I've realized that I'm never included. It hurts. I thought I wouldn't see you, or anyone, for much longer..."

"I guess that's all true, but Alex tried to be close to me... And I'm pretty sure Strawberry was just scared for your safety. I care about you."

"I'm sorry Glas... You're right."

••ANOTHER POV••

"Why are the stats at 7%?!" Aehlocai hissed.

"Can you try to get those levels down again?" I suggested.

"I can do that. Remember, until that scratch heals, I have as much power as I need. And I can prevent it from healing."

"9%?!"

"I'LL SMASH THIS SPARKLY RED GUITAR!" Aehlocai suddenly snapped.

"Don't. We can sell it on the black market."

••BACK TO GLASIE••

A half hour later, Nick still fit my description. He was still sick, still sad, and still shaking.

"You okay?" I asked after a couple minutes of complete silence.

"Yeah Glas... For now... I'm fine..."

I was glad that he was at least trying. Trying to be happy. Trying to stay awake for me. Trying to breathe.

"Can I ask you something really quickly?"

Nick nodded silently.

"What happened to your arm?"

"Aehlocai."