CHAPTER 20

Under the soft glow of oil lamps, Krishna and Balram sat at their teacher's feet, gently massaging them in a rhythmic motion. The flickering light cast shadows on their faces, highlighting their youthful features and earnest expressions.

Sandipani, eyes wide with wonder, watched as the divine duo humbly tended to his feet. The irony of the situation was not lost on him - the mighty lords of the universe, now humbly serving their mentor with reverence and love. Despite their divine origin and immense strength, they bowed their heads in humility, showing respect and devotion to the wise Sandipani. The air was filled with the aroma of incense and the soft sounds of their hands kneading the old guru's tired feet.

Outside, the night was alive with the whispers of the wind and the distant hoot of an owl. Inside the hut, a profound sense of peace and harmony prevailed, as the young disciples fulfilled their duty with utmost sincerity.

As the flickering shadows danced across the walls, the door creaked open, revealing Gurupatni. She held two clay glasses of milk. Her eyes sparkled with warmth and admiration as she beheld the scene before her. A tender smile graced her lips as she watched the young boys, powerful and divine, bowing reverently at the feet of their Guru.

"Pranaam Gurumaa." Krishna and Balram bowed to her.

Approaching Krishna and Balram, she offers them the milk with a tender smile, her eyes reflecting motherly affection. Krishna and Balram accept the milk graciously, their eyes lighting up with gratitude. They take a sip, the sweetness of the milk filling their senses and nourishing their body.

In the innocence and purity of the boys, she saw glimpses of her own son who had left this world too soon, who had met a tragic end near the ocean. Memories flooded her mind as she recalled the laughter and playfulness of her child.

Sandipani, sensing her sorrow, glanced at his wife with understanding eyes. He knew the pain that still lingered in her heart, despite the passing of time. How can it not linger in her when it still lingered in him ?

"Dhanyawad Gurumaa." The boys brought her out of her thoughts.

She smiled and patted their heads, "Raatri bahut ho gayi hai, putro. Tum log jaa ke vishram karo."

The boys nodded and with one last bow to both, headed outside in the night. Krishna and Balram's footsteps echoed softly in the quiet night as they passed by Dilip's hut. In the dim moonlight, they noticed Dilip on the roof, diligently mending it with straws. His silhouette was outlined against the night sky, his movements slow and methodical.

As they observed him, they could see the glint of sadness in his eyes, a silent reflection of his inner turmoil. Dilip, once the crown prince of Avanti, now reduced to a mere commoner, seemed to struggle with acceptance of his new life. The weight of his former status seemed to haunt him, casting a shadow over his efforts.

"Krishna...." Balram looked at him and whispered, "Yadi Dilip vanprasth ashram mei rahe toh Amarsri ke avatar ka kya hoga ?"

Krishna looked at his brother, "Dilip ke netro ko dekho Dau.... Ek agan hai unme. Swikaar nahi paaye woh yeh jeevan. Iccha, mahatwakanksha, kaamna.... Prabal hai unme. Jo vyakti apne paristhiti se rootha ho, woh apna jeevan badalne hetu karm awashya karta hai."

In the dim moonlight, Balram saw a flicker of desires and shattered ambitions reflecting in Dilip's eyes. The former crown prince's longing for his past life and lost glory was palpable. He could see that beneath the facade of acceptance, lay a heart heavy with unfulfilled dreams.

The sight of Dilip toiling away at the roof, trying to mend what was broken, mirrored the inner turmoil that plagued his soul. Balram couldn't shake off the feeling of melancholy that enveloped him as he witnessed Dilip's silent struggle.

"Kintu kab ? Varsho se woh iss hi ashram mei hai." Balram said.

Krishna smiled, "Kamse kam sahi sthaan par hai. Yahi unki karmbhoomi hai."

"Mai samjha nahi ?" Balram said.

Krishna tilted his head, "Yadi sab mai yahi bol du, toh jeevan apratyashit kaise rahega ?"

The brothers continued their walk back to their humble hut, the night enveloping them in its calming embrace. The moonlight cast a gentle glow on their path, as they walked in companionable silence.

As Krishna and Balram entered their parnkutir, they saw Sudama sitting cross-legged on a mat, deeply engrossed in reading the Vedas. His face was illuminated by the soft glow of the lamp.

Sudama looked up from his reading as Krishna and Balram entered, his eyes shining with warmth. A smile slowly spread across his face, revealing his deep affection for his friends.

"Mai tumhari hi pratiksha kar raha tha. Tum dono ko der huyi, toh socha vedo ka adhyayan karlu." He said.

Krishna's lips parted, "Tum... Humare liye jaag rahe the ?"

Sudama nodded smilingly, "Tum log jag rahe the, toh mai kaise so sakta tha ?"

Krishna was overwhelmed by Sudama's gesture. To others, it might have seemed like a small act, but to Krishna, it was a display of pure love. With a gentle smile, Krishna approached Sudama and placed a hand on his shoulder, expressing his gratitude without words.

"Chalo sote hai." Krishna smiled.

□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□□
A/N

Krishna being the supreme lord and also getting pleased by bare minimum acts of devotees 😭🙏
Same with Mahadev 🙏🙏🙏