Chapter 8: Rumours

A few weeks had passed since the IPL final, and ever since that memorable night, Hira and Shubman had been talking to each other every day.

Their conversations flowed effortlessly, filled with laughter, shared stories, and the kind of easy banter that only true friends could enjoy.

"Hey, skiper," Hira teased one evening as they chatted over the phone. "How does it feel to be the hero of the IPL?"

Shubman laughed, the sound warm and familiar.

"Oh, you know, just another day in the life," he replied with mock arrogance.

"But seriously, it feels amazing. And it's even better knowing I have such a supportive friend cheering me on."

One night, as they discussed their respective careers, he said, "You know, Hira, I never really asked—what made you want to become a pilot?"

She paused, thinking back to her childhood dreams. "I've always loved the idea of flying," she explained.

"The freedom, the adventure... It's like nothing else. And every time I take off, I feel like I'm leaving all my worries on the ground."

He listened intently, his admiration for her growing with every word. "That's amazing, Hira. You're living your dream, just like I am. It's inspiring."

"Thanks, Shubman," Hira said softly. "And you know what? Talking to you every day, makes me feel relaxed."

The clock struck midnight on July 6, and Hira was in the middle of her nightly skincare routine.

She carefully applied the last of her products, enjoying the calming ritual before bed.

Just as she finished, she heard her mom's urgent voice calling out from the living room, the tone laced with a sense of urgency that sent a jolt of anxiety through her.

"Hira! Dikra! Come here quickly!"

Her heart raced as she rushed out of the bathroom, her mind racing with possibilities.

"Kya hua?" she wondered, her footsteps echoing through the quiet house.

She reached the living room in seconds, breathless and filled with worry.

"Mummy, su thayu?" (Mom, what happened?) she asked, her eyes wide with concern as she took in her mother's flustered appearance

Her mom pointed to the TV, her face a mix of shock and confusion. "Look at this, Hira."

Hira's gaze followed her mom's pointing finger to the television screen, where a news report was playing.

The headline scrolled across the bottom of the screen in bold letters:

BREAKING NEWS: CRICKETER SHUBMAN GILL SPOTTED WITH BOLLYWOOD ACTRESS SARA ALI KHAN —FANS SPECULATE ROMANCE.

Hira's heart skipped a beat as she saw a picture of herself and Shubman from the a cafe, the two of them smiling and chatting animatedly.

The camera had captured their every move, and now it seemed the nosy media had taken an interest.

"Oh no," she muttered, her mind reeling from the sudden attention. "Mom, this is...this is just a misunderstanding."

Her mom turned to her, concern etched on her face. "Beta, is everything okay? Are you and Shubman...?"

Hira shook her head quickly, trying to control the uneasy feeling in her stomach

"No, Mummy, we're just friends. This is all blown out of proportion."

But even as she said the words, she couldn't shake the feeling of unease that settled in her stomach.