Chapter 14: The Meet Up

A few days later, Hira found herself sitting in the back seat of a cab with her mom and her dad in the front, their conversation barely registering in her mind. 

They were on their way to a restaurant in Delhi to meet the boy's family. She stared out of the window, lost in her thoughts.

The recent past had been a whirlwind—her complicated feelings for Shubman, the unexpected night they spent together, and the looming prospect of an arranged marriage. 

As the cab moved through the bustling streets of Delhi, she couldn't shake the thought of Shubman's reaction when he found out about her meeting him as a potential match.

"What if he thinks I've broken his heart and came back to his life as a potential bride for him? Or worse, what if he doesn't care at all?" she wondered, her heart heavy with uncertainty.

Her mother's voice broke through her thoughts. "Betu, are you okay? You've been awfully quiet."

She forced a smile. "Yes, Mummy. Just a bit nervous, I guess."

Her father turned slightly in his seat, giving her a reassuring look. "It's natural to feel this way. Just remember, we're meeting them to get to know each other. There's no pressure."

Hira nodded, though the knots in her stomach didn't ease. She leaned back, closing her eyes for a moment, and tried to calm her racing mind.

 Despite her attempts to focus on the upcoming meeting, her thoughts kept drifting back to Shubman. She recalled their last conversation, his concern for her, and the way he made her feel.

The cab pulled up in front of an upscale restaurant, and Hira's heart began to race. Her parents got out first, her father turning back to help her out of the car. 

She took a deep breath, stepping out onto the pavement and smoothing down her saree.

As they walked towards the entrance, Hira's mind was a whirlwind of thoughts. 

She was about the meet a boy her parents thought was suitable for her, while she couldn't stop thinking about Shubman, they boy they chose for her.

The hostess greeted them warmly and led them to a reserved private dining area. The room was elegantly decorated, with soft lighting and tasteful decor, creating an intimate atmosphere.

Hira and her parents arrived early, and as they settled into their seats, She adjusted her saree and smoothed down her hair. 

Her mind was a whirlwind of thoughts, primarily centered on Shubman. She couldn't help but wonder what he would think if he knew she was here, about to meet a potential suitor for an arranged marriage.

She glanced at her reflection in the nearby mirror, trying to calm her nerves. "Tu sundar lage che beta, (You look beautiful beta) her mother said reassuringly, noticing her anxiety.

"Thanks, Mummy," Hira replied, forcing a smile. "I'm just a bit nervous, that's all."

Her father checked his watch and looked around the room. "They should be here any minute now. Just remember to be yourself, Hia. We're not expecting you to make any decisions today."

Hira nodded, taking a deep breath. She knew her parents had her best interests at heart, but the situation felt surreal. 

Just as she was about to voice her thoughts, the door to the private dining area opened, and the hostess reappeared, escorting another family.

As they entered, Hira's heart skipped a beat. The Gill family stood there, looking as poised and elegant as ever. 

Her father immediately stepped forward and hugged Shubman's father, Mr. Gill, warmly. "It's been too long, Lakhi!"