Chapter 20: The Precautions

Hira and Shubman bolted out of the house, the urgency of their situation fueling their every step.

Her hands trembled as she gripped the steering wheel, her mind racing even faster than the car.

The streets blurred past as she navigated the city with single-minded determination.

Shubman, sitting beside her, adjusted his cap and mask, hoping to avoid recognition.

As they skidded to a halt in front of the nearest medical store, She wasted no time.

She dashed inside, with him running behind her.

Her heart pounded as she sprinted towards the counter, the fear of the consequences of their carelessness gnawing at her.

"I need contraceptive pills," she gasped, her voice a mix of desperation and urgency.

The shopkeeper, an elderly man with a stern expression, raised an eyebrow.

"Do you have a doctor's prescription?" he asked, his tone unyielding.

Her fear spiked, her mind racing for a solution. The thought of the potential consequences of not getting the pills was too much to bear.

She reached into her wallet and pulled out a wad of cash, slamming it on the counter. "Please," she begged, her eyes pleading. "I'll pay extra."

The shopkeeper hesitated for a moment before nodding and accepting the bribe.

He quickly handed over the pills, and Hira's relief was palpable.

She grabbed the package, tore it open, and immediately popped a pill into her mouth.

Shubman, seeing her distress, handed her a bottle of water from his bag. She drank it quickly, the pill going down in one gulp.

As they turned to leave, Hira stopped at the door and turned back to Shubman.

Her eyes narrowed, and she glared at him. "Don't forget to buy condoms," she reminded him sharply before walking briskly back to the car.

Shubman felt a wave of embarrassment wash over him. He exchanged an awkward glance with the shopkeeper, who now wore a bemused expression.

With a sigh, Shubman turned back to the counter. "One box of condoms, please," he muttered, his face flushing under his mask.

The shopkeeper handed him the box with a knowing smile.

Shubman quickly paid and walked out, the weight of the situation pressing down on him.

He found Hira waiting in the car, her expression a mix of relief and lingering anxiety.

They drove in silence, each lost in their thoughts.

The reality of what had happened was sinking in, and the urgency of their trip to the medical store had left them both shaken.

Hira's grip on the steering wheel was tight, her knuckles white, while Shubman sat beside her, the box of condoms a stark reminder of their need for caution in the future.

The tension from their earlier rush slowly began to dissipate as they drove back, but she remained lost in her thoughts.

Her grip on the steering wheel was tight, her mind replaying the events of the morning. he noticed her distraction and placed a gentle hand on her arm.

"Love," he said softly, trying to break through her reverie. "How about we get some breakfast? There's a café nearby. "

Hira glanced over at him, her expression softening. She realized how tense and anxious she felt, the adrenaline still coursing through her veins.