Chapter 13: Family Matters

Shubman sat in the living room of his Mohali home, surrounded by his family. 

The atmosphere was serious, a stark contrast to the usual warmth and laughter that filled the space. His parents and sister sat across from him, their expressions somber.

The conversation started with subtle hints and veiled references to the rumors swirling around Shubman's personal life. 

His family's concern was evident, their words laced with worry and apprehension.

"We've been hearing things, Shub," his mother began, her voice gentle but firm. "About your relationships, your... interactions with girls."

Shubman's heart sank as he realized where the conversation was heading. He exchanged a glance with his sister, who looked equally solemn.

His father continued, his words carefully chosen. "We understand that you're young and successful, but these rumors, they can affect your career, your reputation, beta"

Shubman felt a wave of frustration and helplessness wash over him. He knew the media scrutiny was inevitable, but hearing it from his family made it all the more real.

Shahneel spoke up next, her tone softer but no less concerned. 

"We just want what's best for you, Kaka. Maybe it's time to consider... settling down, finding someone who will support you and stand by your side through everything."

His mother reached out and placed a comforting hand on his arm. "We're not saying you have to rush into anything, Beta. But it's something to think about, to consider for your future."

His father spoke up next, his expression serious. "Son, you know that we've always respected your choices and supported your career in cricket. But now that you're getting older, we think it's time for you to consider settling down."

Shubman's heart sank as he realized where this conversation was heading. "You're talking about marriage, aren't you?"

His mother nodded solemnly. "Yes, beta. We believe it's time for you to find a suitable life partner and start a family of your own."

Shubman felt a surge of annoyance bubbling up inside him. "But I'm not ready for marriage, Mummy! I'm focused on my cricket career, and I don't want to be tied down right now."

His sister placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "We understand, kake, but it's important to think about your future. And we've already found a suitable match for you."

Shubman's eyes widened in disbelief. "You've already found someone? Who is she?"

His father cleared his throat, his expression slightly uncomfortable. "She's the daughter of one of my close friends. A Gujarati tall, fair girl, around your age. We think you'll get along well."

Shubman felt his frustration growing with each passing moment. "I can't believe you're arranging my marriage without even consulting me first! This is ridiculous!"

His mother reached out to him, her eyes pleading. "Beta, please try to understand. We just want what's best for you."

But Shubman couldn't suppress his annoyance. "What's best for me is to make my own decisions about my life! I won't be pressured into an arranged marriage, no matter how 'suitable' the match may be."

Shubman stood up, pacing the room, his frustration evident. "I can't believe this. How could you set this up without telling me?"

His father sighed deeply, trying to maintain a calm demeanor.

 "Shubman, we've known her family for years. They're good people, and we believe she could be a good match for you. They're coming over the day after tomorrow to meet you."