FIFTHTEEN

FIVE'S POV

I look at Y/n, her face turned pallid. Her luminous eyes widened in shock, searching my face for any sign that what I'd just said was just a twisted joke. It wasn't. I killed this piece of shit with cold blood, and I'd do it again. And again. And I'd do it much sooner. Before he managed to ruin my life.

"Did you... kill him?" Y/n's voice trembled as the words barely escaped her parted lips.

"Yes, and I'd do it again." My response was void of emotion. "What's more? I'd kill Diego, too. If he weren't my brother, I swear he'd be dead by now because of everything he's done."

A single tear traced its way down her cheek. "Do you even hear yourself, Five?" she whispered. "That's why I feared you could've hurt me or Ezra. Because you handle everything like this. With violence. You get rid of people who are inconvenient for you."

My jaw clenched, and I let out a heavy breath, fighting with the rage and pain inside me. "Dammit, Y/n. I've never hid from you that I am who I am." I spoke in a low tone. "I'm in the fucking Hargreeves's. The Umbrella Academy. What else did you expect from me? This is the harsh reality we live in. If I hadn't taken out those who posed a threat to me or our family, I'd be the one lying six feet under by now. Being a part of this world, being in my position demands hard choices."

Y/n shook her head, tears streaming down her face. "I can't, Five... I..."

She headed toward the door, but I instinctively took a grip on her elbow. I couldn't let her go. Not again. She turned to face me, and our faces were now inches apart.

"I'm doing this to keep my family safe." My voice remained low. "And you and my son are my family. I would never hurt you. And I would never let anyone else hurt you."

Y/n's eyes flickered between mine as if torn between the love she once knew and the dreadful reality of who I was. "You're a monster, Five," she whispered. "An annihilated, ruthless criminal."

"Am I?" I hissed darkly.

"Yes. Yes, you are."

"Does it scare you?" My nose was almost touching hers.

"No. Not anymore. But does it bother me? It does."

I leaned even closer so that our breaths were meshing, lips brushing. "It didn't bother you in the past," I murmured darkly, and I could feel Y/n's chest moving up and down heavily against mine.

The tension, the attraction between us, was palpable. I wanted to kiss her so badly. I craved to have a taste of her lips as if she was the forbidden, I couldn't resist. I couldn't. Not anymore. I leaned closer, her rugged breath sweeping across my parted lips. I was so close I could feel her heart racing in her chest. Our lips almost collided. Almost.

"Things have changed." She pulled away, stepping back as if to keep a safe distance. "I'm not the same Y/n anymore. She's gone."

She was right. She was no longer the fragile rose I remember. She blossomed into a captivating midnight rose adorned with mysterious, dark petals, impossible to resist. She had that intoxicating darkness and alluring elegance in her that lured me in even more than before. She'd become a manifestation of my deepest desires. Now, I wanted her even more. I craved her with every fiber in my body.