EIGHTTEEN

Y/N'S POV

I was trembling. I didn't know what to do. I watched the man I loved with all my heart leave the room with a gun pressed to his chest.

What does one do in a situation like this one?

I burst into tears.

Certainly, not that.

But I couldn't help my fear. The thought that it could've been the last time I saw him, the man I was just picturing my future with. The man without whom, I could not breathe. It was devastating.

I took a few deep breaths and wiped the tears away. Shaking uncontrollably, I ran to Ezra's room. He was sleeping. Safe and sound. Thank God. Yet my heart wouldn't stop racing. I caressed him gently, but my hand was trembling so much I couldn't keep it in place. I didn't know what to expect. These men could come back and shoot us both. I felt so shattered. I just got Five back, I couldn't lose him once again. If I could, I would do anything to get Five back. Anything. I grabbed my phone from my purse and hardly managed to dial the only number that came to my mind.

"Well, well. To what do I owe this call?" Diego's voice rambled through the speaker.

"Five got kidnapped," I blurted, trying to catch my breath. The fear was suffocating.

"What?" Diego's tone changed; it was more serious now. "Are you joking?"

I shook my head, struggling to speak. "Please help me, Diego. You're the only person who can do something. Please."

"I'll send our men from Miami to get you. They'll take you to a safe place," he stated with a solemn tone. "Lock the door and don't open it to anyone else."

I nodded, though he couldn't see it, and ran to the door with the phone still to my ear.

"They'll tell you our secret code, blue sky. Only open the door after they say it, you hear me?"

"Yes." My voice cracked.

"I'll be with you soon, Y/n," he said and hung up the call.

What an irony that the only person who could help Five was his enemy number one, his brother.

The men working for the Hargreeves's arrived, all in black and armed to the teeth. Their presence felt ominous. With no time to spare, they escorted us away, each of their moves swift and calculated. We hurried towards the waiting car, and I felt a sense of dread washing over me. The black coat and velvet scarf they told me to cover myself with made me feel like a fugitive on the run. Holding Ezra tightly in my arms, my heart raced in my chest faster and faster. Just as we drove away, the column of police cars arrived, and the loud sound of the sirens woke Ezra up.

"Mommy?" he mumbled, still half-asleep.

"It's okay, I'm here." I tried to sound as reassuring and calm as possible, but my voice was cracking. My hands were still shaking.

"Where are we going? Where's Dad?" He rubbed his eyes.

"He had to go to work for a while, and we're going to meet Uncle Diego now." I smiled through my pain.