Part 47: trouble or not

The next week, the air in the classroom felt charged with anticipation as the new student, Sally Johnson, entered. She had a distinct aura about her—confident yet reserved. Her accent and demeanor immediately marked her as different, and the fact that she was from Scotland added an exotic touch to her presence.

Mrs. Della, their teacher, introduced her to the class. "Class, this is Sally Johnson. She's from Scotland, so please make her feel welcome."

Sally gave a polite smile and a slight nod. JJ, the notorious bully, couldn't resist making a scene. He winked at Sally, who, trying to be friendly, smiled back. This interaction didn't go unnoticed by the rest of the class, especially by Queen and her group. Mrs. Della directed Sally to sit behind Summer, right in Queen's circle of friends.

As Sally walked to her seat, Queen, Myra, Evie, Summer, Skyler, Noah, and Gill exchanged wary glances. They felt a mix of curiosity and caution. Summer, always the outspoken one, decided to set the tone.

"If you think about talking to me, don't," Summer said with a flip of her hair that sent a cascade of curls brushing against Sally's face. The group subtly echoed Summer's sentiment with side-eyes and whispered comments.

Sally took her seat, her initial smile fading slightly as she picked up on the group's unwelcoming vibe. She focused on getting her things out of her bag, trying to ignore the tension around her. Mrs. Della continued with the lesson, but the undercurrent of unease remained.

During lunch, the group gathered at their usual spot outside, the secluded area under the oak tree. The conversation quickly turned to the new student.

"Did you see how JJ winked at her? She's already got the wrong kind of attention," Skyler said, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, and she smiled back. Who does that?" Myra added, clearly unimpressed.

"No one from our group should associate with her," Evie said firmly. "We have a reputation to uphold."

Noah, always the peacemaker, tried to offer a more balanced perspective. "Maybe she's just trying to fit in. Moving to a new place can be hard."

Queen nodded slightly, considering Noah's point. "True, but we need to be careful. Let's see how things go."

As the days passed, Sally tried to integrate herself into the class, but the barrier set up by Queen's group remained. They kept their distance, observing her interactions closely. Sally, for her part, seemed to sense the group's collective wariness and tried not to overstep her bounds.

One day, during a particularly challenging group project, Sally ended up paired with Queen and Myra. The awkwardness was palpable at first, but as they started working together, Sally's intelligence and hard work began to show. She made valuable contributions, and even Summer had to grudgingly admit that Sally was smart.

As they worked, Queen found herself reevaluating her initial judgment. Maybe, just maybe, Sally wasn't so bad after all. Perhaps it was time to give her a chance, despite the awkward start. The group's dynamics began to shift slightly, the ice slowly melting as they realized Sally might just be worth getting to know. The atmosphere at lunch grew tense as Sally approached Queen and her friends. She hesitated for a moment before speaking up. "Hi, can I sit right there?" she asked, pointing to an empty spot.

Evie didn't even look up from her phone. "Don't waste your breath. Noah is sitting there, okay? Period." Her tone was sharp, leaving no room for discussion.

Queen, always the leader, added, "Girl, bye. Get your life together. Don't even sit here or talk to us at all, Sally Johnson."

The sting in Queen's words was palpable. Skyler, feeling emboldened, stood up and got right in Sally's face. "If you have a problem, you deal with me. Ew, your breath stinks like dog poop and piss," she said with a sneer.

Queen delivered the final blow. "Go brush your teeth."

Sally's eyes welled up with tears. She turned and quickly left, the harsh words echoing in her mind.

Noah, watching the whole exchange, felt a pang of guilt. He wanted to speak up but felt outnumbered and afraid of being ostracized himself. He glanced at Queen, but her expression was unreadable.

As Sally walked away, head down, the group fell into a satisfied silence. But Noah couldn't shake the feeling that they had crossed a line. He knew what it felt like to be bullied and excluded, and seeing Sally's tears reminded him of his struggles.

That evening, as Queen was getting ready for bed, Noah sent her a text:

Noah: Hey, can we talk tomorrow? I think we need to reconsider how we're treating Sally.

Queen read the message but didn't respond immediately. She sat on her bed, thinking about the day's events. Deep down, she felt a twinge of regret. Maybe Noah was right. Maybe they had been too harsh.

The next day at school, Queen couldn't help but notice Sally sitting alone during lunch, looking more isolated than ever. She remembered Noah's text and felt a sense of responsibility. Queen approached her friends during their break.

"Hey, guys," she started, "I think we were a little too hard on Sally yesterday."

Evie raised an eyebrow. "Seriously, Queen? She deserved it."

"Maybe," Queen replied, "but we all know what it's like to feel left out. Maybe we should give her a chance."

Skyler sighed, clearly reluctant. "Fine, but if she messes up, that's it."

Queen nodded, appreciating the small step. Later that day, she approached Sally in the hallway.