Chapter 33

My life went on without mishap for the rest of the first week, with the sole exception of the side looks I received from the pupils every time I walked down the corridors. I had managed to gain a reputation, albeit in infamous ways. The second week began with a peculiar visit from the detective; his pressure was growing old for me, and I was no longer as terrified as I had been at first. I trusted the burglary; it would be my way out of this predicament.

"We want to apprehend him for the drugs he feeds our kids and not some light house robbery!" He had said, "Get me the evidence we want or I am putting YOU behind bars." I just nodded in agreement.

One thing I forgot to mention, I was getting very ill. The tumor episodes came more frequently now, the hallucinations even more damning. Spiders had built webs on my medication cabinet, I found them useless. I barely used them. The Friday of the 3rd week was scheduled for a meetup with Dr Moreno for my checkup. Even though I had to be chaperoned, no one was available to do so, even my own Dad. When I mentioned it to him he basically disowned me.

"Are you not old enough to go on your own?" He asked nonchalantly.

"I have to be eighteen for that, remember?"

"I do not keep track of useless dates. Just go there tell Moreno I am busy and let him attend to you, from then you are on your own." He stood up from his chair.

"I didn't you two were that close," I said under my breath. He gave me a warning look and went out the door. Bummer.

Chloe, a whole different story. Tables turned as I was the one served with a restraining order this time as soon as she had woke up. She texted a few times apologizing about it then disappeared As much as I wanted to talk to her about everything, I could not.

Amanda barely crossed paths with me. She seemed to avoid me on purpose, I would not blame her. Every one seemed to notice between Rashin and her, and a few brave boys tried to ask her out but she simply told them she was still with Rashin. As for Rashin, he seemed to be enjoying his life with different other girls, from party to party.

The Friday of my checkup came and I coursed through the hospital corridors down to Moreno's office. He barely said a thing during the checkup, then asked me to wait outside for the test results. After forty five minutes of playing Tomb Of The Mask and listening to the 'A Place We Knew' album, he finally called me inside.

"Have a seat, Patrick," The said as he sat in his own leather chair.

"Three words, and my name. Wow, you can actually speak," I joked and received a warning stare in returning. What is up with people and stares or side eyes? I sat and took off my fleece.

"The tumor has done absolute damage to your brain, hence the frequent episodes. The blood test show barely the minimum of medication in your body, meaning you have stopped taking it or barely take it," He growled at me. "A specialist has agreed to operate you but I doubt you will make it till the date of operation."

"How far long do I have?" I asked in a low voice.

"Four to six..." He said reclining to his chairs.

"MONTHS...?"

"Weeks, Patrick!"

"You have to be kidding me, how did I go from eight to that little?" I asked in a high tone.

"Remain calm, stress is not good for you either," he remarked.

"I just do not understand, make me understand, doctor!"

"I can only provide you medication to help with the pain and migraines, besides that..." He sighed very deep as he took off his glasses. He wrote a note and handed it over to me.

I stood up and took the note. "Thank you." I softly exited the door. I stayed at home for the whole of the weekend, depressed to the core. I did not answer any calls, and a few folks called anyway. Monday arrived, and I was forced to get myself up and face the world as it was. It's a new week. There are five to three weeks to go. My life was practically hanging by a thread. I needed to make a change, make my final weeks worthwhile, but how? I opened a cabinet in my mother's room and took out a small jewelry box. I glanced at the bullet, looking at the inscription 'Patrick Snr'. I had a lot of questions regarding this bullet; if only Amanda was still talking to me so I could ask her. Surprisingly I managed to swallow the week, after a huge amount of while.

The group finally met on Friday to finalize everything. Everyone seemed really uncomfortable, fear mirroring my own in their eyes.

"A heist, Starr? What the hell were you thinking?" James finally spoke up.

"Do not tell me you are afraid James," Rashin altered in a deep accent.

"Of course I am scared. This idea is crazy, we have never done something like this before have we?" The back door opened, and Mr Kedron entered.

"Everyone here?" he said in his hoarse, sick voice.

"Yes we are. Boss, some of us are having second thoughts about this?"

"No need for hesitations boys. I have done this a million times. Here is the plan; there is a social event at Lou's hotel tomorrow. All the gurus will be there including Leonard Clarkson, who will attend with his daughter. The ceremony will run for about three hours, from eight till eleven. My most priced possession in that house is a small bag of diamonds he smuggled a few days ago. My inside informant says they are in a safe in the office. Joel will attend the event to keep an eye on both father and daughter, Rashin is responsible for the driving, Mark is responsible for the upper storey, and James for the below storey. Patrick, the office and Amanda you cut the power distribution box wires. When there is finally no power you guys go in and sweep everything, then come here with the loot." Mr Kedron explained, we could not help but nod in agreement. The diamonds were going to be used as payment for a shipment drug deal happening at the shed on Sunday morning, it was then cops were going to come on us, and nab us on the spot. Tomorrow the plan would come into reality.