Chapter 18; Good Lord Greenleaf

The ranger introduced himself as Strider and Durion didn't pry mostly because the man didn't ask about the mask. It took them four days to reach Rivendell and once they arrived, the hobbits and Strider went to see Frodo. Durion stayed behind, taking his horse and the pony, Bill, to the stables. He relieved the two animals of their burdens and asked for help bringing the packs to the rooms where the hobbits would be staying. After that was done, Durion finally retreated to his own borrowed room. He sighed in relief when he saw that a bath had been drawn for him. The elf shrugged off his clothes and stepped into the pleasantly warm water. He leaned back and closed his eyes, enjoying the sounds of singing birds.

"Maybe staying here wouldn't be such a bad idea."

***

He should not have said that. The day after, Gandalf arrived. And with Gandalf usually trouble came as well. The first thing the wizard did was visiting the hobbit, who was still recovering from the stab wound, but apparently finally awake. Durion was glad, he really was, but he was actively avoiding the healing wing of Elrond's house like the plague. But, as it was known, Gandalf was one persistent bastard. He hoped he was safe in the library. It was on the other side of the house, after all. And for how old he was, the wizard was awfully quiet when he wanted to be.

"Durion."

"MOTHERF-" Durion jerked from his chair by the window and almost threw a punch. Gandalf took a cautious step back and observed the black haired elf with worry. "Don't sneak up on me." Durion let out with a breath.

"Forgive me." Gandalf said and the elf looked away, feeling the wizard's eyes on the mask. "Lord Elrond told me what happened. I am sorry, Durion."

"Why are you sorry? You didn't know anything." Durion shrugged with slowly boiling anger. "If you knew something, you would obviously tell me since, you know, it's kinda important information."

"I didn't know for certain. I never would have imagined you were Celebrimbor's direct lineage."

"But you knew something!" Shouted Durion, startling a flock of birds outside. "Gandalf, for years I thought I was a child of- of something dark and evil! And I feared I would-" He took a shaky breath. "Legolas's dreams didn't help. Valar, they even proved my fear..."

"But you're not. You are not a dark creature. You are not destined to end up on the enemy's side. Legolas didn't dream that dream after you met in Mirkwood. And I am so sorry I let you believe in that."

"I- I just... don't know what to do." Durion hung his head low.

"For a start? You can attend Elrond's council. There will be a discussion about the Ring." Gandalf said and Durion frowned.

"The Ring?"

"You don't know?" The elf tilted his head. "The One Ring has been found. And it's calling for its master. And with Saruman-" Durion gasped as he remembered he never told anyone about the White Wizard, too shocked by the attack in Eregion.

"Saruman! Gandalf, he serves the enemy!" The wizard lifted his hand to calm him.

"I know. But how do you know?"

"He, uh, four weeks ago, he invited me to Isengard, saying he knew about my heritage. It was a trap, he had a Palanír, Gandalf. He said 'I found him, Master' and tried to imprison me. I used Raidho to get out and appeared in the last place I thought about, which was Eregion."

"That is not good, I hoped he wouldn't find out. You must be careful." Durion looked down and nodded.

"When is this council being held?"

"In two weeks, to give the representatives of the free people of Middle-Earth time to arrive."

"Well," Durion stretches. "that at least gives me time to brush up on my astonishing people skills."