Chapter 20

It was a bright, electric match day at the grand Narendra Modi Stadium

It was a bright, electric match day at the grand Narendra Modi Stadium. The air was thick with anticipation as fans eagerly awaited the clash between the Gujarat Titans (GT) and the Delhi Capitals (DC). The crowd roared, their excitement palpable, as the players took to the field.

Shubman, GT's promising young captain, walked out for the toss, meeting Rishabh Pant, DC's dynamic skipper, at the center. The two shook hands, exchanging a few words of camaraderie amidst the rivalry. The coin was flipped into the air, glinting under the stadium lights. Rishabh Pant called it right and chose to bowl first, hoping to exploit the early pitch conditions.

Wriddhiman Saha and Shubman, fully padded up, stepped onto the field, determination etched on their faces. The opening pair looked solid, getting off to a cautious start. They had put up 11 runs together when Ishant Sharma came charging in with his fierce pace. Shubman tried to loft one over the infield but mistimed it, sending the ball high into the air. The crowd held its breath as Prithvi Shaw settled under it, making no mistake. Shubman had to walk back, disappointed, as the scoreboard read 11 for 1.

Sai Sudharsan joined Saha at the crease. The duo managed to add 17 more runs before Mukesh Kumar delivered a perfect inswinger that uprooted Saha's stumps. The score now stood at 28 for 2, and the pressure was mounting.

David Miller, known for his aggressive batting, was next. However, the GT innings continued to falter. Sudharsan, attempting a risky run, was brilliantly run out by a sharp throw from Sumit Kumar. The Titans were now struggling at 28 for 3, and the crowd fell into a nervous silence.

Abhinav Manohar walked in, trying to steady the ship alongside Miller. They added 30 runs with some cautious play. Just when it seemed like a partnership was forming, Ishant Sharma struck again. Miller attempted a drive but ended up offering a catch to Rishabh Pant behind the stumps. The score was now 30 for 4, and GT was in deep trouble.

Rahul Tewatia was the next batsman. He and Manohar tried to rebuild the innings, showing some resilience. They managed to put on 17 runs before Tristan Stubbs' crafty bowling and Rishabh Pant's quick stumping sent Manohar back to the pavilion. The scoreboard read 47 for 5.

Shahrukh Khan came in, and with Tewatia, they tried to salvage the innings. Their partnership brought some hope, adding 21 runs. But then, in a moment of misjudgment, Shahrukh stepped out of the crease, and Pant, quick as lightning, stumped him. The score was now 68 for 6.

Rashid Khan joined Tewatia, and they fought hard to keep the innings alive. They managed to put together 18 more runs before Axar Patel trapped Tewatia leg-before-wicket. The score stood at 86 for 7, and the situation looked grim for GT.

Mohit Sharma was the next to the crease. He and Rashid Khan managed a few boundaries, bringing some cheer to the GT fans. However, the partnership was short-lived as Mohit holed out to Sumit Kumar off Khaleel Ahmed's bowling. The score was 78 for 8.