Chapter 28

We had a meeting scheduled with Rahul Sir, so I took a deep breath and made my way towards his room

We had a meeting scheduled with Rahul Sir, so I took a deep breath and made my way towards his room. As I approached, a mix of anxiety and hope swirled in my stomach. I knocked on the door, and it was Rinku Bhai who opened it. He greeted me with a warm smile, and I couldn't help but smile back, despite the nervousness gnawing at me.

"Come in," he said, stepping aside to let me enter.

Inside, the room was filled with the familiar faces of my teammates. I spotted Hardik Bhai and quickly took a seat next to him. The atmosphere was thick with anticipation; even the standbys were present, awaiting Rahul Sir's announcement.

Rahul Sir cleared his throat and began, "The probability of the players playing for the India vs Ireland match is as follows: Rohit Sharma, Yashasvi, Virat, Rishabh, Suryakumar Yadav, Shivam Dube, Hardik, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Jasprit Bumrah, and Arshdeep Singh."

My heart sank. I wasn't in the playing eleven. I clung to a thin thread of hope that I might at least be among the substitutes.

"And the substitutes," Rahul Sir continued, "Axar, Sanju, and Yuzi."

It felt like a punch to the gut. I wasn't in the playing eleven nor among the substitutes. I forced a smile and congratulated my teammates, trying to mask my disappointment. Yash approached me, his eyes full of concern.

"Bhai, can I really take your position?" he asked hesitantly.

I took a deep breath, fighting to keep my voice steady. "Yash, that's not my position. You are an amazing opener. Just play for the country, Yash. Give it your best."

He nodded, and I managed a genuine smile for him before walking out of the room. The weight of my unspoken frustration and disappointment grew heavier with each step. When I reached my room, I headed straight for the balcony, needing some fresh air to clear my head.

Staring out at the city, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was responsible for my own downfall. I hadn't led my team to the playoffs during the IPL. My individual runs had been insufficient, and my contributions to the team were minimal. How could I expect to be trusted with the country's opening position when my recent performance had been so lackluster?

Regret gnawed at me. My performance had undeniably dropped from the previous IPL to this one, and I hadn't practiced as much as I should have. It was all my fault. The pressure and confusion were overwhelming, and I desperately needed a break from all this turmoil.

But then, what if an opportunity to play came my way? What if Rahul Sir decided to give me a chance against another team? What if I needed to replace someone? These thoughts swirled in my mind, causing even more unrest.

I felt so lost and desperately needed someone to talk to, someone whose advice I could trust. But who? Sara? No, she was already stressed about the player health report that needed to be submitted to the ICC. Papa? He would just worry about me and add to my burden.