Chapter 33

I felt so weak, and poor Sid was just as pale

I felt so weak, and poor Sid was just as pale. Sara, tirelessly looking after both of us, didn't take a moment's rest. Seeing her devotion, I decided to call my sister, Di, for help. I called, but she didn't pick up, so I sent her a message. Thankfully, she replied instantly.

Gathering some strength, I went downstairs and saw Sara making kaada, a herbal drink known for its healing properties

Gathering some strength, I went downstairs and saw Sara making kaada, a herbal drink known for its healing properties. Her dedication was heartwarming and yet worrisome.

"Sara, why are you doing so much?" I asked, my voice filled with concern.

"Because I love you and I love Sid as well," she replied simply, her eyes reflecting her sincerity and care. I sighed, feeling a mixture of love and helplessness.

"Shahneel Di will be coming," I informed her. "Her vacation starts from today."

Sara nodded, placing her cool hand on my forehead. "Your fever is still there. You sit and rest." I nodded obediently and sat down. Sid came and nestled beside me, looking distressed.

"Papa, my mouth tastes bitter," he complained, his small voice filled with discomfort.

Sara handed him a glass and said, "Baby, drink this. It will make your mouth feel better." She gave me a glass as well, and I began drinking it. Sid fussed, reluctant to take a sip.

"Sara, go and shower. I'll manage," I suggested, wanting her to take a break.

She hesitated but then nodded, trusting me to handle things. As she walked away, I turned to Sid. "Sid baby, have some juice, okay?" I coaxed gently.

Sid pouted and shook his head, resisting. I started coughing but quickly controlled it. Sid looked up, worried. "Papa, are you okay?"

I nodded, kissing his forehead. "Yeah, baby. Now please drink this for me."

Reluctantly, Sid drank the juice and then looked up with a hopeful expression. "Can we watch TV?"

I smiled and nodded. "What do you want to watch, baby?"

"Cricket," he answered eagerly. I switched on some classic matches featuring Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli, two of the greatest cricketers. Sid's eyes lit up, and we settled in for some quality father-son time, our spirits lifting a bit with each passing minute.

As the match played on, we laughed and cheered together. Sid's small hand clutched mine tightly, his earlier discomfort momentarily forgotten. I glanced at him, his eyes bright despite the fever, and my heart swelled with love and pride.

Just then, Sara returned, her hair still damp from the shower, looking refreshed. She smiled at us, and I could see the relief in her eyes. "How are my boys doing?" she asked, her voice full of warmth.

"We're good," I replied, my voice a little stronger. "Just enjoying some cricket."

She sat down next to us, her presence comforting. "I'm glad that Shahneel di will be here soon, so I'll have some help."

I nodded, feeling grateful for my sister's impending arrival and Sara's unwavering support. Despite the fever and the fatigue, this moment with my family felt precious. We were together, and that was all that mattered.

As the day turned into night, the house was filled with the sounds of the match and our occasional bursts of laughter. In that shared space, amidst the worry and the illness, we found solace in each other's company.

 In that shared space, amidst the worry and the illness, we found solace in each other's company

In the morning, the doorbell rang, and I hurried downstairs to answer it. Opening the door, I was greeted by my sister, Shahneel Di. I enveloped her in a warm hug. "Hey Di, come in."

She stepped inside, and I called out to our helper to take her luggage to the guest room. Shahneel Di looked at me with concern in her eyes. "How are Shub and Sid?" she asked.

I sighed, a mixture of relief and lingering worry. "The fever has reduced, but Shub still has a cough. Sid is doing better though." Shahneel Di nodded, her face showing empathy.

Just then, Shub and Sid came down the stairs. Shub wrapped his arms around me, and Sid clung to my leg, his small body pressing close for comfort.

Shahneel Di chuckled, her eyes twinkling. "Sid is the xerox copy of Shub," she remarked.

I nodded, and Shub grinned, teasingly asking, "Arre, why am I hearing this crazy Di's voice?"

Shahneel Di snapped her fingers in front of his face, playfully chastising, "You called me yesterday, Mr. baby."

Sid's face lit up with joy. "Bua!!" he exclaimed.

Shahneel Di crouched down to his level. "Hi Sid baby, how are you?" she asked, her voice filled with affection.

Sid smiled widely. "I am fine. The fever flew away, but Papa has a cough," he reported seriously.

Shahneel Di kissed Sid's cheeks, making him giggle. "Sara, Shub, you both go and rest. I'll look after Sid. It's Sid and Bua time."

Sid nodded eagerly, and Shub, looking grateful, took my hand and led me towards our room. As we settled down, Shub turned to me, his eyes soft and serious. "Sara, I want to tell you something."

I nodded, giving him my full attention. "Five years ago, I never thought Di would talk to me ever again, or that I would fall in love with someone. But you made it possible. Thank you so much for being in my life, baby."

Tears of happiness welled up in my eyes. I smiled, my heart full of love. "It's not me, baby. It's the Power of Love." I squeezed his hand, feeling the warmth and strength of our bond.

Shub smiled back, his eyes reflecting the depth of his feelings. We sat there for a moment, holding hands and sharing the silence, which was filled with unspoken words and a profound connection. Despite the exhaustion and the challenges, we knew we were blessed to have each other and our little family.

In that moment, everything felt perfect. The love and support of our family gave us the strength to face anything that came our way. And with Shahneel Di here to help, I felt a wave of relief and gratitude. We were not alone; we had each other, and that was more than enough.

 We were not alone; we had each other, and that was more than enough