Chapter 21

The IPL season had come to an end, leaving a considerable gap before the T20 World Cup

The IPL season had come to an end, leaving a considerable gap before the T20 World Cup. Mumma and Papa headed to Chandigarh to oversee the construction of our new house, and Shahneel Di also returned there. With some free time on my hands, I decided to visit Sara in London before heading to the US for the World Cup.

After a long flight, I finally arrived at Heathrow Airport. The cool London air greeted me as I stepped out, and I couldn't help but feel a rush of excitement at the thought of seeing Sara again. I hailed a cab and made my way to her house, my heart pounding with anticipation.

When I reached her doorstep, I rang the bell, and within moments, Sara opened the door. Her face lit up with a smile as she threw her arms around me in a warm hug. "I missed you so much, baby," I said, holding her close.

"I missed you too," she replied, her voice filled with emotion.

She leaned in and kissed me gently, a sweet reminder of how much I had longed for this moment. After we broke apart, I followed her inside and sank into the sofa. Sara brought me a glass of water, which I gratefully drank. Then, I went back to the car to retrieve my cricket kit, suitcase, and backpack, hauling them to the guest room.

Even though I put my things there, I had no intention of staying in the guest room. I was here to be with Sara, to find some peace in her company. But a nagging worry gnawed at me. I hadn't heard anything official about my position in the T20 squad. Vi bhai had assured me I was in the team, but there had been no confirmation of my role. I had stayed off social media to avoid the barrage of negative comments, but the uncertainty still weighed heavily on my mind.I walked to Sara's room, washed my face, and changed into a comfortable t-shirt and shorts. Then, I headed towards the kitchen, where I found Sara busy preparing lunch. She was on the phone, her back to me, her tone serious.

"Virat bhai, how can I tell Shub that he is a standby player and not a main player? How can I say that he's traveling to the US just to watch the games live? How can I dampen his spirits like this?"

Her words hit me like a punch to the gut. I was a standby player? After all my efforts, my good performances, I was just a backup? My mind raced, disbelief and hurt flooding through me. I quickly pulled out my phone and opened Instagram, my hands shaking slightly. There it was, clear as day—I was listed as a standby player, and no one had bothered to inform me.

Sara turned and saw the look on my face. She quickly ended her call. "Shub, I..."But I couldn't listen. I felt like the ground had been pulled out from under me. I walked out of the kitchen, my mind in a daze, not knowing what to think or feel. Sara followed me, her voice filled with concern, but her words were just a distant echo in my ears.

I sank into the living room sofa, my head in my hands. The hurt and betrayal were overwhelming. How could they not tell me? How could I be left in the dark about something so important? Sara sat down beside me, her hand on my back, trying to offer comfort.