Chapter 23

There was a special event at the university, and I had the chance to bring someone along

There was a special event at the university, and I had the chance to bring someone along. Without hesitation, I decided to take Shub. As I got ready, I glanced over and saw Shub sleeping peacefully, snuggled up with my pillow. His hair had fallen over his forehead, and his dimples were just visible, giving him an angelic look.

"Good morning, baby!" I whispered softly, not wanting to startle him awake. Shub groaned, rolling over and burying his face deeper into the pillow. I huffed in mild frustration, realizing it would take more than a gentle nudge to wake him up.

I leaned in and kissed his forehead tenderly, "Wake up, Shub. We need to go to the Uni." He stirred slightly, blinking his eyes open. The guilt hit me immediately as I noticed the redness in his eyes and the exhaustion etched on his face.

"What were you up to last night?" I asked, concerned.

"Practice," he mumbled, rubbing his eyes. I sighed deeply, understanding the immense pressure he was under with the T20 world cup season approaching. He was pushing himself hard, often practicing alone late into the night.

After a few moments, he dragged himself to the bathroom. I knew he was self-conscious about his performance, constantly worrying if he was doing enough to secure his spot on the team.

When he came out, dressed and ready, I made a decision. "We are not going anywhere," I stated firmly.

Shub frowned, confusion spreading across his face. "Why?"

"Have you looked at yourself? Your eyes are red, and your face is pale. You need to get some sleep, Shub."

"Sara, please don't start," he said, frustration tinged in his voice.

"Why not, Shub? How can I stay quiet when you're straining yourself so much with practice?" I shot back, my worry turning into a gentle reprimand.

"If you were in my shoes, you'd understand what it feels like to be on the team but not able to play," he said, his voice barely above a whisper, the weight of his words heavy.

I softened my tone, "Even Ishan wasn't playing during the World Cup, and he got an opportunity because you were sick. Does everyone push themselves this hard?"

He didn't respond, just walked out of the room, leaving me to ponder if I had overstepped. Sitting on the bed, I felt a wave of guilt. Did I hurt him? I wondered. If anyone else had said that, he probably would have lashed out. He controlled his anger for me.

I went downstairs, searching for him, but he wasn't there. Finally, I found him in the garden, sitting on the grass. I walked over and sat next to him, leaning my head on his shoulder. "Are you angry at me?" I asked softly.

"No, baby, I'm not. Now, can we go to your Uni?" he replied, a gentle smile playing on his lips.

I chuckled, relieved. "Let me change into something else, wait here."

I rushed back to my room and chose vibrant, floor-length gown featuring a bold and colorful tropical print. The dress had a fitted bodice with a sweetheart neckline, which accentuated my shoulders and neckline. The bodice was structured and tailored to fit closely to the body, highlighting the waist before flowing into a fuller, tiered skirt.

The fabric was adorned with a lush print that included various tropical elements such as green palm leaves, bright pink and red flowers, and other colorful floral and fauna motifs. The dress had a layered, slightly ruffled design in the skirt, adding volume and a touch of whimsy.

The overall look was complemented by my loosely curled hair, which was styled in a relaxed and natural manner, and subtle, elegant earrings that did not detract from the dress's striking print. The combination of the structured bodice, flowing skirt, and vivid print made the outfit both eye-catching and sophisticated.

 The combination of the structured bodice, flowing skirt, and vivid print made the outfit both eye-catching and sophisticated

I returned to Shub, who looked up and asked, "Ready?" I nodded, and we headed to the car. Shub drove us to the university, and we made our way to the auditorium for the program. As the teachers started discussing various topics in medicine, I noticed Shub was clearly bored, though he tried to hide it.

"Why don't you watch a movie on your phone? I know you're bored," I whispered. Shub nodded, took out his AirPods and phone, and began watching a movie.

After the event ended, we were making our way out when a guy approached us. "Hi Sara, I need to tell you something," he said nervously.

I frowned, puzzled. "What is it?"

"Sara, ever since I saw you, I fell in love with you. I want to date you, marry you, and spend my life with you," he confessed, his eyes earnest.

I glanced at Shub, who had tightened his jaw, clearly angry. Holding his hand, I responded firmly, "Look, I'm already dating. This is my boyfriend, Shubman Gill. Please leave."

The guy left, dejected. Shub's expression softened slightly. "Let's go," he said quietly. We got into the car and drove home in silence.

Once home, I changed into my shorts and one of Shub's T-shirts, feeling comfortable and relaxed. I found Shub sitting on the couch, his mood still somber. I went over, sat on his lap, and wrapped my arms around him. "Are you angry?" I asked, looking into his eyes.

Shub nodded slightly, but before he could say anything, I kissed him gently. "Are you angry now?" I asked again, smiling.

He smiled back, shaking his head. I rested my head on his chest, playing with the buttons of his shirt. "I'm sorry if I upset you," I murmured. "I just care about you so much."

"I know, Sara," he said, kissing the top of my head. "I appreciate it, really. Let's just relax for the rest of the day, okay?"

"Okay," I agreed, feeling a sense of peace wash over me as we held each other close.