Chapter 31

I was busy studying in our room when Shub's phone began to ring

I was busy studying in our room when Shub's phone began to ring. "Mumma❤️" was flashing on his display. I picked it up and said, "Hello?"

Keart aunty's voice came through, sounding a bit shaky, "Hello, um, is Shub there?"

I replied, "Aunty, he has gone for a meeting. I am Sara. Sara Tendulkar, his best friend. You can tell me, and I'll convey the message to him."

Keart aunty took a deep, shaky breath, and I sensed something was wrong. She said, "Shub's dadaji died this morning, Sara. Can you please tell him? He was very fond of him and-"

I interrupted gently, "Don't worry, aunty. I will convey it to him." Then I disconnected the call. I felt a heavy weight in my chest as I walked towards Rishu bhai's room.

Inside, I saw Shub laughing and enjoying the company of Virat bhai and the others. It pained me to think of breaking his happiness, but he needed to know.

I called out softly, "Shub, I need to speak to you for a moment. Can you come?"

Shub looked at me, his smile fading slightly as he sensed the seriousness in my tone. He nodded, excused himself, and followed me out of the room. We walked towards our room in silence.

Once inside, I turned to face him, my heart aching for the sorrow I was about to deliver. "Shub," I began gently, "I just got a call from your mum. I'm so sorry, but your dadaji passed away this morning."

His face fell, the color draining from it as the news sank in. He stood still for a moment, processing the loss. Then, he slumped onto the edge of the bed, burying his face in his hands. I sat beside him, placing a comforting arm around his shoulders, offering silent support as he grieved for his beloved grandfather.

 I sat beside him, placing a comforting arm around his shoulders, offering silent support as he grieved for his beloved grandfather

When Sara told me that Dadu had died, it felt like the ground beneath me had disappeared. My dadu, who was always so full of life, was gone? It was too surreal to believe. Why would Sara lie about something like this?

I hugged Sara tightly, needing her support more than ever. She held me, providing the comfort I desperately needed. My phone rang again, but I ignored it until Sara softly said, "It's Shahneel Di."