Chapter 63

Several years earlier...

(Continuing from Chapter 61)

Sitting two streets down from Garrett's house, I gripped the steering wheel of my hand-me-down Lexus - the one Mom had passed along when she'd gotten her new BMW.

I'd told her that I was meeting Hunter, but if she'd known the truth, she would have duct taped me to a kitchen chair.

Eyes on the rear-view mirror, I surveyed my appearance, making sure that every hair was in place.

Satisfied, I took my keys and miniscule purse and stepped out onto the sidewalk, smoothing my hands down over my short, slinky dress.

Last chance to back out...

A shiver raced through me in the chill, night air as I weighed the consequences of going forward against the consequences of staying put-

-and I began walking toward the party.

Music tainted the night's silence as I drew nearer, and I felt the curious glances from the crowd in a smoke cloud as I mounted the front steps.

Inside, the pounding beat from the stereo assaulted my ears, and I fought to keep my expression cool and aloof.

As the door closed behind me, I noticed an immediate ripple as my assembled classmates noticed me, elbowing their friends and whispering in a failed attempt at subtlety.

Shoulders back, chin high.

I strode through the first floor, mustering my courage as I looked for my prey.

About to search the backyard, I was reaching for the sliding patio door when Garrett appeared on the other side.

"Uh, hey, Sophie - sorry, I wasn't expecting you - I heard a rumor that Hunter wasn't coming-"

"He's not."

Garrett's eyebrows rose slightly, surprised by my blunt admission.

Feigning boredom, I glanced aside, "Do you know where Xavier is?"

"Xavier?"

"Yes, Xavier - did I stutter? I need to talk with him about something."

"About what?"

Glaring at him, I spat, "Do you know where he is or not?"

Garrett frowned, "He's upstairs - first door on the right."

I smiled, sickly sweet and condescending, "Now, that wasn't too hard, was it?"

Scowling, Garrett shook his head, turning away in disgust.

Like I care.

Ignoring the eyes following my every move, I found the stairs, fighting doubt with every step.

At the top, I sucked in a deep breath, filling my lungs in the hope that I had the courage to do what needed to be done.

Raising my hand, I knocked.

"Go away."

The deep, resonant voice was unmistakably Xavier's. I ignored his warning and entered.

Facing away from me, he slammed a book down on the generic comforter of the guest room he'd been occupying, "Are you deaf, or just an ass-"

He cut off as he turned, dark, stormy eyes widening as I closed the door behind me.

"Hi, Xavier." Twisting the lock, I crossed over, taking a seat on his bed.