Epilogue

Some time later...

Standing in surprisingly comfortable heels, I wrung my hands together, heedless of my fresh manicure, waiting for my cue. It was almost unbelievable. After dreaming of this moment for so long, here I stood, waiting.

And then, it was time.

Sucking in a deep breath, I hid my nervousness with a bright smile, striding forward.

The knee-length black robe swished as I walked.

Past the curtains, bright lights blazed, illuminating the stage. Cheers erupted from one side of the audience, and I squinted, grinning as I saw my people standing and applauding like unruly animals.

I wouldn't have had it any other way.

Dad was next to Evie and Cora, holding a sign that said, "Congratulations, Dr. Bennett!"

In the row just behind them, River had climbed on a chair, wolf whistling while Tom just rolled his eyes, smirking.

And Malcolm stood next to him, absolutely beaming with pride.

Shaking my head slightly, I crossed the stage to where my advisor, Dr. Klause, waited.

I held out my arm, offering the draped doctoral hood and whispering, "Sorry about them - they were raised by wolves."

She took it, "It's alright; this is a massive accomplishment, and they have every reason to be proud of you."

Reaching over my head, she placed the hood carefully, the front against my throat and the rest draping down my back. With tears in my eyes, we shook hands.

From the podium, the Dean solemnly intoned, "Presenting Dr. Sophie Bennett."

That evening, as the party at the Den was winding down, Malcolm and I lounged on the back patio, watching the sun disappear behind the horizon.

Over by the refreshments table, Patricia graciously accepted accolades for her planning, while Josie and Zoë bickered amiably about whose desserts had gotten more attention. Gerald and Oliver had left about an hour ago, despite the protest of their eldest daughters, needing to relieve the babysitter who'd been home watching their newest addition.

The blessing of a quiet moment after a day of chaos wasn't lost on me. Curled up against my mate on the outdoor loveseat, I fought the desire to crash right then and there.

"Still awake?" Malcolm brushed my hair back from my face.

"Barely," I mumbled, my cheek resting on his chest. "When's it appropriate for the guest of honor to leave her own party?"

Malcolm chuckled, "Don't let River hear you say that - you'll be doing shots before you know it's even happening."

"Did I hear someone say, 'shots'?"

I looked up as Will sank down onto the adjacent couch, "How's the kiddo?"

He shook his head, "Loudly protesting that he's not sleepy as I'm watching his eyelids droop."

Malcolm remarked, "Sounds familiar."

"Hey," I protested, "it's been an insanely long day."

"I know," Malcolm pressed a kiss to my forehead. "Have I mentioned yet how proud of you I am?"

I purred low in my throat, "Several times, but I wouldn't mind hearing it again."

"Well, I am. I am so proud, and so in love with you."

Will groaned, "Respectfully Malcolm? Ew."

Malcolm glared at him, "Shut it, Will."

He held up both hands, "Okay."

"Anyway, where was I?"

"Singing my praises," I supplied.

"Right," Malcolm grinned, staring down at me with pure adoration. "Just... sometimes I wonder how I got lucky enough to deserve you."

"Well," Will answered, "it began with you bare-assed on her front porch."

Turning my head, I sighed, "Will?"

"Hmm?"

I smiled, "Never change."