Fringe Benefits

"There is nae need for you, any of you, to struggle to make increase! In all colonies of Alb, all is provided, housing, familiar foods, clothing formers, and healthcare. See Pas' ba, who shall live in your home with you!" Another Pas came and sat with us. He had brown curls! A lot younger version of him.

"In our house? But, there aren't enough rooms!" Daddy got red in the face.

"Surely you know all of your children are unwell, and need me!" This Pas touched all of our heads. He's including me in that label? I didn't feel 'unwell'!

"They're not sick, they just have some—problems." Daddy frowned at us. Pulled at his silver hair in back.

"They are unwell! Must they have physical unwells to be unwell? Unhappiness is unwell! I can help them, but I must be near. Jo, Karl, Rose, and Allison have severe and constant unwells. I think, perhaps, that you and Mrs. Farnsworth also have them.

"Let us speak of your home. I think this may help you, much, to know where you shall live."

"But we brought our house with us! We left a holo." Daddy pulled at a silver lock.

"Eae, but I noticed you have much dissatisfaction with him. If it pleases, you may design one that fits your needs and give him to one who wishes him."

"Aw, I'm never satisfied! I tried to DIY some things and ended up having to hire a pro to fix what I did."

"Modifications are easy! See this prog?"

I looked over his prog and learned a lot! Most of what a programmer does is look at other people's work and modify it. I got some ideas and started playing with a new prog. As a diplomat-in-aid, I was too busy studying to play with this, but Farley was sick a lot and I did play around with the interface some, in Rainbow.

I designed a Victorian with animal statues decorating every post of a porch that went around the eight-sided house.

Daddy got his jealous look and designed a two-story with enough gingerbread to be a Queen Anne. I waved mine down. I don't want to compete with anyone, I just wanted to play with the programming!

Farley kept showing him things, and Mama mentioned, "I'd like a sewing room. It's been years since I made anything. Got a lot of ideas from the other stewardesses while we heated up meals for passengers. But, seems like I never had time to really do anything." Her green eyes got a dreamy look.

Daddy met her on a flight to a convention. He didn't like having to speak to crowds, so he became a programmer. Their love of travel brought them together, but programmers don't. I don't know why they had so many kids, when they really don't want to do family things like other families talk about. We all stay in our rooms—well, Karl used to go to Jason's house a lot, before COVID.

We kept munching pastries. Each of us picked out a platter of favorites and put some candies up for when we got too full. I shared bites with Farley, but no one else wanted to share. We all have aandats, now, so we can't get sick doing that.

Daddy finished his house and started on another one, a Tudor-style. He kept designing diff ones.

Farley smiled. "If you enjoy this work, perhaps you might wish to be House Designer."

He startled. Then smiled. "This is a lot more fun than writing accounting software! But what if I get tired of doing that?"

"Then, you may apprentice to one who knows a different kind of work. We have needs for server instructors—you call them programmers—to do nearly as many activities as there are! Mostly, we need them to write progs for healers."